Upgrade to 120Gs: Quiet is Key

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by magnetar68, Jan 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. magnetar68

magnetar68 Astrea Snail

I will post a plumbing plan if I have time to mock it up. But right now, I think I have enough head pressure to drive the three media reactors and the calcium reactor off of the 80watt flowstar 1800 return pump. The calcium reactor has an Eheim 1068¿ as a recirculating pump, but that is external.

In am hoping a fan is fine. I think it will be, but i wanted room for the chiller just in case.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Using your return pump is going to cause problems..... as the media becomes clogged flow decreases... but that means it will increase to your tank and upset the balance of the Bean. It won't overflow obviously... but flows will be changing. So if you set up the open channel... then perhaps it will be too much flow as the flow through the media decreases, which will make noise. Of course taking a reactor off line to change media will mess things up too.

The bio pllets should not change much, GFO will tumble, carbon gets clogged. I used ROX .8 from BRS and it was very fine. Great carbon but clogged easily.

4. magnetar68

magnetar68 Astrea Snail

That's a great point! OK, let me think about this a little.

5. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

hey hows the build coming along??

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Good question. ::) I think someone is :party-smi

We need :pics:

7. magnetar68

magnetar68 Astrea Snail

Tank is being built now; should get shipped this week or next. LEDs shipped today, so i should be able to start the LED build this week. I am half way through the reefscape. Sand came on Saturday. Everything but the skimmer and return pump are here. ATB should ship those next Monday. I expect a lot of activity this month and next. I am very excited. Thanks for the interest!

8. Click Here!

9. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

of course I'm interested especially when your plans are so great :D, lol well glad to hear things are moving along as well as they are :) oh and:pics: when everything comes in ;D

10. magnetar68

magnetar68 Astrea Snail

Update

(This is a copy of the update I put on another build thread, but I know a few people are following it here as well)

I finally got most everything I needed to start the LED build, so here's the first set of Royal Blues all lt up:

[​IMG]

Also, the tank is coming along. Should ship out this week!

I think the sump looks great:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the back of the tank with a slot cut for powerheads the have 3/4" limits on thickness (Vortech MP40s etc). The viewing panels are 1" clear acrylic but the black back is three pieces laminated together with this hole routed in the last piece. The powerheads I got are actually OK on 1" thick, but this gives me longer term flexibility for cheaper powerheads:
    [​IMG]

Brett at ZeroEdge came up with a nice idea for mounting the black egg create that will act as a barrier to keep the fish and snails out of the overflow: this channel for it to slide into:
    [​IMG]

Here's the overflow. The two main drain holes line up exactly with the sock holders in the sump:
    [​IMG]

I should get some pics of the assembled tank this week.

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Exciting...so is there an update yet?

12. magnetar68

magnetar68 Astrea Snail

It was a complicated build due to all of my detailed requirements. But I should get the tank next week. Here are some more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]