Um, imma thinkin' this is stupid to ask but have to anyway

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by Lady J, Aug 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I clean the little filter pad on my Penguin filter every week. However, should I also be cleaning out the entire thing except for the wheel thing that is growing bacteria? What is that wheel thing called, anyway?

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

The impellor. I beleive.

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks Ryan. :)

No, the impeller is down where the intake tube is connected. This is what drives the water. I wasn't too clear, sorry. I'm talking about the thing that is constantly rotating near the top of the whole filter box. It reminds me of squishy, very light cardboard.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

biowheel?

Attached Files:

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Bio wheel?? if so, I don't believe you are supposed to clean it.

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Yep, that's it. Is it just called the biowheel? OMG duh :yelrotflm

8. Click Here!

9. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Hi cosmo! :) Any news about the sweet dog you're trying to adopt? I can hijack this thread since I started it. ;D

No, the biowheel shouldn't be cleaned as it would destroy the bacteria and damn, I'd have to start all over again.

I'm talking about the box itself. For example, am I supposed to be putting the biowheel underwater while I take the rest of it off the tank and thoroughly rinse it or something? IDK, just wondering if it's going to get really dirty and mess up the water chemistry.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ok hijack commenced.;)

Well, they think he avoided brain damage, but he is still too weak to do much. He's eating though and seems like an awesome dog, I still haven't met him, but I've talked to some that has. They think he's gonna make a recovery, but I've been politely told, to be ready for vet bills in the future as his organs took a beating. They think they'll come back but not positive, and face it, these big dogs are vet bill nightmares as they get old anyways. Thx for asking;)

And yes, I believe you should clean out that box part, i would.

11. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I really hope he makes it. I almost started crying when I read your original post. It sickens me to see abuse. I used to watch AnimalCops and after a while I was getting so depressed I had to stop. But, then there are awesome people who step in and try to help so there is that silver lining I guess.

Yes, I probably should clean out the box itself. There's gotta be detritus at the bottom of it don't ya think? I guess no one has really mentioned it as part of routine maintenance.

12. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

You don't have to clean out the filter every week. The pads should be changed every week or two. Every few months or so is fine to clean the rest of the unit.

As for the BioWheel, it's pretty useless if you already have a proper amount of live rock in your tank so don't sweat it, you could toss it and all will be fine.

Since its exposed to air, it works the same way & grows the same bacteria as bio balls that were popular in fish only salt water systems. Live rock is a much better, the best, biological filter.

If you don't have a sump, I imagine you're using the stock filters... Which use mechanical filtration (white filter pad) and chemical filtration (activated carbon) - the bio wheel is the claim to fame for biological filtration...

Those pads add up. If you're crafty, you can probably come up with a system of making your own. Buying pads in bulk along with carbon in bulk will yield better, cheaper results...