turtle shedding

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by sykes_33, Aug 31, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sykes_33

sykes_33 Astrea Snail

I have a smal koi pond with 2 red ear sliders that have been fighting for territory in the last month. Had them there for 4 years never a problem. Anyways I take the smaller one out that is always getting chased out of the water and snipped at and I put him in a tank I have setup for "Time outs" LOL So, he hangs in there for a few days. I have been noticing as if he is peeling because there is always like clear or white skin that is hanging off of him, as if it appears he is peeling like us humans do. I was wondering if this was what it was and should I be concerned. It is mostley around his neck. I also have the silly questing that I can't help but ask. Is it because he is in the water too much as I always see him in the water and not on the perch I got for him. I know its a stupid question because its a water turtle but I had to ask.

Thank you. also if this is a bad thing what to recommend for it to prevent or cure please.

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

that is a form of malnutrition. i can't remember exactly what, but diet is the main cause of the shell rotting.

4. sykes_33

sykes_33 Astrea Snail

It's not on his shell, it's his skin.. Sorry I didn't specify.

5. kylekin

kylekin Bristle Worm

its just shedding

6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I'd agree, I dont know much about turtles but all lizards shed their skin as they grow so thats probably all it is

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I've had a big striped-neck leaf turtle for years. It sheds skin all the time. It's normal.

If you find real soft spots on the shell, that is a problem. But shedding skin is normal for a turtle from what I know.