Trigger or not

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by reefman_MC, May 26, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Hey guys it's been a while since I've been on 3reef. As some of your know I took my 75 and converted it to a Discus planted aquarium due to hair algae troubles, but the Discus I ordered were very bad quality(hole in the head, misshaped bodies). I tried to dispute the charges and the guy who sold them to me lied his way out of it.

After losing $500 on discus I couldn't afford to get Wattley discus. So I changed a few things and got 5 Gymnogeophagus Balzani from Jeff Rapps. Man do I hate these fish. They just laze around all day and even though they've been in the tank for 3 months they're scared to death of everyone that comes up to the tank.

Now let's get to the reason I posted. I am ridding myself of these little guys and am converting to FOWLR. I plan to do crushed coral substrate, 30+pounds of LR ,a wet/dry for filtration and my Remora skimmer. I really really want to do a Picasso Trigger and maybe two other fish, but I've been told a 75 is too small for any trigger. Is this really true? Also can you give me some suggestions on larger fish that are more like pets than just fish? I want a few fish that are just aggresive and ravenous. Please help me out!

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

You could get a small trigger and trade him in when it gets bigger. Some of the smaller puffers like the sharp nosed tobies have good personalities. Long nose hawk fish and lawnmower blennies are also very personable. Our lawnmower blennie will sit in your hand.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2005
  4. NUHTTY

NUHTTY Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

a 75 wouldnt be bad for a picasso trigger.

and dont do CC, go with sand or barebottom

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

A 75 is a little tight for a "big" trigger. You can probably do it, but it will severely limit the number of other fish you can add. You may also need to deal with him being a little more aggressive as he "fights" for space.

Also, triggers like to be fed to be happy or they get more aggressive. More food = more waste. More waste = more algae.

That said, I miss my big clown. Triggers are cool. All I currently have is a med. Niger in my 72 FOWLER.

Good luck