Transgenic Fish: Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Just try getting non GMO corn in the US. Not gonna happen. I fully agree, we eat it every day now, at least here in the good ol USA.

2. Click Here!

3. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Just because the "experts" say something is safe doesnt mean it is. How many drugs have been deemed "safe" by the pharmaceutical companies only to be pulled later on? Alka-Seltzer plus was on the shelf for years and people used it with the idea it was safe only to have it pulled off the shelf and remade. I dont know how many of you have kide out there I know there is a lot of you, but a while back there was a huge recall of childrens otc medication that was pulled also. It was considered safe. Anytime we humans mess with nature trying to improve it, something negetive always seems to be the outcome. In the end its all about the almighty $.

4. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Exactly. If we didn't care about costs, we could have food distributed worldwide no problem. Or if we take time to design and build things for the future to help with problems we can foresee, it will help alot. But people don't want to burn the $$$

The reason commercial and genetically altered crops are more common? Family farm and organic foods are all more expensive. Eating the not name brand, special, no additives food is expensive, and if there's a cheaper mass produced option, why buy the more expensive stuff?

Also, if people believed more in growing their own food in their yards or houses, it would help out alot. You can grow food in buildings, no matter what the climate is outside. It's just $$$

5. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

did that cause HIV? or am i completely lost in this post?

6. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I think he's saying, you get rid of one disease another comes along. HIV didnt mutate from anything, its a monkey virus that got passed onto humans.

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

The price in the market may be more, but if you ended farm subsidies to the mega farms the cost would shoot up. IN the long run organic and small farm stuff is cheaper. It also depends on where you live in the US ;)

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Do you know if locally grown produce is cheaper in areas that have a year round growing season?

10. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Honestly though, I don't really have a problem with them conducting these types of experiments. It could lead to advancements in other areas.

11. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Yes it is. I live in a place where the climate is nice year round. We have several farmers markets where we can buy local produce. Its really nice to buy things that are fresh and not transported across the country. I feel we as a society like to have perfect fruits and veggies and thats why engineered food is so prevelant. We dont want bugs in our salads or holes in our apples so produce has been engineered to be bug resistant. My "wife" worked for Monsanto and other compainies that were at the forefront of engineering food so I heard all kinds of stories about the stuff that goes on that the employees were not to talk about. When I lost my job I thought it was a good time to grow a garden so I dug up my backyard and started a garden of my own. I am not looking to grow lots of vegetables but enough to help out and eat produce that is organic.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I envy you West Coasters your growing season. We can only get locally grown produce here for a few months during the summer/fall season and, as expected, it's expensive.