Torch Coral vs Mushroom Anemone

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ashevillian, Dec 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

So I have a green mushroom and a green/yellow torch coral frag on the same LR and the mushroom has been moving slowly towards the torch coral. Not sure if they will harm each other because I have seen many pictures of peoples tanks with loads of corals and mushrooms and zoa's all piled together nice and tight.

Thing here is I just don't want a $5 piece to kill a $15 piece but really it won't matter, cuz I like them both. But just wanting to know what to except and what solutions I may have available.

[​IMG]

PS- you can also see the kenya tree starting to grow and eventually will probably have the same problem with "touching" the torch and mushroom with the way the water flows. Just wondering if they will sting the crap out of each other and go into warfare mode

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Corals mostly will know when not to get too close to a neighbor.(not always) The mushroom has the ability to move were the torch cannot. If the mushroom gets close enough to get stung it will surely move away.;)

1 person likes this.
  4. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

well, it's not unnormal for me to be confused but, what i see in the pic is on the far left a hammer coral on the far right a candycane on the left of the candycane almost touching it is the mushroom and if the ? is will the shroom or candycane die then i will say the cane will lose if the shroom get on it, the cane does have sweepers that come out when they sense food and at night but, there sting isn't very potent the shroom will win with it's chemical warfare in my opinion, now the hammer has a very strong sting and would kill the cane and keep the shroom from approaching it by stinging sweepers:eek:

1 person likes this.
  5. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

you're right pro reefer the entire time i meant the candy cane coral. which is the one i'm worried about getting hurt by the shroom. realistically though my attitude for my tank is just let nature do its thing and don't put my hands in the tank unless i really have to. so we'll just have to see, thanks for the info tho +1 rep!

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

To save your corals you may get over the nature taking it course syndrome ;)

7. Vinnyboombatz

LPS are stationary corals. Softies have the ability to move(not all). LPS have more potent weapons then softies for this very reason. If the mushroom gets too close to that candycane it will get stung and move. If the mushrooms could kill LPS they would smother them on the reef.(which still happens sometimes);)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Not entirely true. For the most part yes, but I had a long tentacle plate coral and brain coral that moved quite a bit.

10. Vinnyboombatz

11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Why would it be a joke?

12. Vinnyboombatz

Brain coral and plates cannot move on there own.