Thoroughly modern silly...

Discussion in 'Unique Corals' started by Unique Corals, Feb 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Unique Corals

Unique Corals 3reef Sponsor

It seems as though not a day goes by when you don’t hear about some new product, animal or technique that will help change the hobby forever. Crazy, modern, new things that promise to simplify and improve our hobby experience. Some are great. Some add to the complications we already deal with in the hobby. Complication. Complexity. These are kind of "old school" philosophies, if you ask me. For some reason, many of us in the hobby seem mired in the past, with a “more complicated must be better” philosophy. (You've probably heard me rant on this before. In fact, I'm sure you have.)

[​IMG]
    Steve Weast's tank was one of the greatest of all time. Certainly not simple, but not ridiculously complex, either. Aquaristic skill and technology combined to form a "reef for the ages."

To this end, we equip our systems with tons of gadgetry with the intent of recreating the reef environment., and employ complex, militant protocols to keep the environment within a precise range.

However, lately, I find myself turning to (and preaching) a more disciplined, yet simplified approach to reef keeping.

Do you ever wonder why we collectively seem to like to make things so complicated? I attribute this “complication syndrome” to a few possible factors:

1. We think that we ARE making things easy on ourselves. We have busy lives, so we’ve bought into the idea that more complex systems will help us spend less time working on our reefs, and more time enjoying them. The point of a hobby is enjoyment, right? Strange paradox here, though: If multi-stage zeolite reactors, complex additive dosing regimens, two-chambered calcium reactors, automatic top-off/water change systems, and eight-way water return devices make your “job” easier, that’s good, right? Well, don't you have to maintain all of that stuff? Where is the “savings?” Technologically complex systems and approaches seem to have become a necessity in our minds, yet they sometimes make things tougher, IMHO.

[​IMG]
    OMG, this saves me 7 minutes a week scraping algae off the front glass. Ain't technology grand?

2. We like to buy stuff and impress each other. Hey, who can argue with THAT? It feels good to show off that sexy, expensive protein skimmer or uber-high end LED lighting system…doesn’t it? In all seriousness, I’m sure few hobbyists really set up a system costing thousands of dollars simply to “one up” their buddies, but after reading some tank build threads on hobby forums, I just can’t help but wonder about this sometimes. I’m particularly entertained by the responses of other reefers on these build threads, seemingly impressed at the sheer bombastic nature of the builder as the builder brags about the thousands that he or she is spending on their tank, and the “Wow, I hope my tank is like yours one day!” responses from readers. Yuck!

[​IMG]
    "Here are my latest pics of my 72 gallon build! Today, I tested the 96-way titanium actuated ball valve assembly for my refugium..."

3. Because that’s how it has always been done! Okay, there is some merit to this one. We tend to follow the tried and true. As we’ve discussed in previous posts, discoveries of the past help influence the breakthroughs of the future. If something works for us, we tend to stick with it- perhaps tweaking a few things here and there as we go. Yet, think of how heretical it was back in the day to get rid of our plastic filter media or to actually feed our reef tanks! Paradigm shifts involve a certain degree of risk, and perhaps we’ve become adverse to risk or criticism in this forum-based hobby area.

4. If something is more complicated, it MUST be better and safer! Again, back to the infamous build threads: “This guy has 5 different reactors and two types of controllers running the show. All of these functions are automated! He MUST know what he’s doing!” Perhaps it’s because he DOESN’T know what he's doing…ever considered that? Complexity for complexity’s sake is NOT cool. Very “1990’s”, if you ask me.

Look, I am not trash-talking everyone with a complex reef system with tons of cool gadgets and exotic husbandry protocols. I’m not a technophobe. I’m not suggesting that we go back to the “good old days”- a simpler and more gentle time…NO!

What I am doing is questioning the need for such complexity in everything. Look, we love our Apex controllers at Unique Corals. They are fabulous, making monitoring and control of basic functions in our warehouse extremely easy. Amazing stuff. But guess what? These fantastic systems are not intended by their designers to replace the “art” of aquaristics, nor are they intended to be a technological “crutch” to make up for our shortcomings at aquarium management.

[​IMG]
    We love our Apex...But it works FOR us...We don't work for IT!

Sure, I’ll be the first to tell you that water quality management is a key to success in reefkeeping, yet I’ll also be the first guy to tell you that just picking up a siphon house weekly or more frequently is the ultimate expression of water quality management. All of the technology in the world is not going to save your system if you don’t have the fundamentals down. The John Tullock gem, “More biology- less technology” is so applicable to us.

Thank goodness we are collectively starting to rethink some long-held hobby beliefs and simplifying our approaches — to the benefit of both our animals and our pocketbooks! A great example of this is the wonderful way we have traditionally applied water movement in our systems. If you need to create intense flow patterns, it’s long been held that you need an armada of pumps, baffles, closed loops, powerheads, and other flow-enhancing devices to do the job. While all of these devices have their places, the truth is that you can create outstanding water movement with the logical application of a few very modest powerheads directed in a thoughtful manner.

The gyre flow theory that you often hear me hint at really makes a lot of sense. “Intelligent flow”, if you will, can far exceed the benefits derived by the over-application of numerous water movement devices. Yet, for some reason, we hobbyists LOVE to make things more complicated, more expensive, and more challenging by stubbornly clinging to the unnecessary practice of deploying tons of powerheads into one tank, when a mere few applied intelligently will do the job. Let’s keep it simple here, for our own sanity and budgets!

[​IMG]
    THESE guys tell us all we need to know about keeping corals.It's up to us to listen to them.

I think we also make things pretty intimidating for newbies. Advising the newbie to equip his or her small reef tank with every conceivable technological prop for success, and keep every water parameter at precise target numbers perpetuates the myth that marine systems are more complicated than any other aquarium that you can maintain. Yes, there are some minimum equipment requirements that you have in order to outfit and maintain a reef tank. However, I can’t help but wonder if giving the new reefer one more bag of salt mix, a siphon hose, and the admonition to use both regularly and frequently would benefit him/her far more than any multi-stage reactor would.

Again, don’t get me wrong. All of the cool technology and equipment has its place, and there is a certain “barrier to entry” of skill acquisition that you need to hit in order to gain success in the hobby. However, in this new era of the reef hobby, I think that it’s important to step back once in a while and re-evaluate what we’re trying to accomplish, why we are doing what we’re doing, and what really works. I’ll hazard a guess that we can simplify things and still enjoy great success.

Simple, yet focused approaches are used every day by the pioneering hobbyists that are breeding marine fishes and propagating corals. Their systems, husbandry techniques, and approaches are based upon a specific need — fish and coral reproduction, and the results of this focused approach are being demonstrated regularly.

The bigger picture here is that the application of a more simplistic, focused approach can — and has been — leading to huge advancements in the hobby. I’m not encouraging you to eschew all technology, nor to abandon the fun of the community tank or the diverse “reef garden.” I am encouraging you to step back now and then to make things easier on yourself. A successful reef aquarium need not be a complicated technical endeavor.

It needs to be a “logical” one. That's the "postmodern" way.

Until next time…Keep it simple— and Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
    Unique Corals

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid