The most popular corals ever?

Discussion in 'Unique Corals' started by Unique Corals, Mar 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Unique Corals

Unique Corals 3reef Sponsor

Okay, it's the weekend, so I'm thinking about a less "heavy" topic to kick things off today...One of the things we do at UC after a hard day's work is...shocker- stare at corals some more. Are we NUTS? Umm, yeah, but that's another story for another time. And of course, as coral geeks, we exchange tall tales and swap stories about our fave corals. It got me thinking, what would be the most popular corals of all time? And I'm not taking about the hottest morph of Zoa or Chalice at the moment, or the "stupidest-named-acro-that's-actually-been-around-for-ten-years-before-some-arrogant-coral-vendor-'named'-it"-type thing. I'm talking about corals that have stood the test of time. I mean, with the modern reef hobby pushing thirty, it's obvious what has lasted through all of the hype and trends, right?

So, in no particular order, here is my totally-debatable list of what I feel are the top eight most popular corals in the hobby..You will no doubt tear up, fold, spindle, and mutilate my list, with many more of your own choices to be added. Go ahead and add them! I'd love to see your selections and rationale for each! Make me proud to be an advocate of open-sourcing blogs instead of a "posting pics of every coral we have for sale each day" kind of guy, okay? Without further nonsense, here are my selections:

1)The “Green Slimer”, Acropora yongei- I mean, how could you not love a coral called a “Slimer?” It certainly lives up to it’s name, producing copious amounts of mucus when it’s handled. And who could blame it It’s got great neon green color, is easy to care for, and has launched more “SPS” addictions than just about any other coral out their. It’s a star at pretty much any “frag swap”, with eager hobbyists always wanting to try out the “Slimer!”

[​IMG]
    If only it had a more respectable name than "Slimer..."

2) “Acan Lord”- Acanthastrea lordhowensis- Ohh…one of the “poster children” for reef hobby extravagance, the “Acan Lord” has drained more bank accounts and pushed more credit cards towards their limit more regularly than just about any other coral we can think of. Its alluring color varieties, undeniably sexy appearance, absurd names, and, in many instances, hyper-inflated prices, have made it the aspirational target for coral fans worldwide. And, with some vendors obsessed with enhancing the Acan's already amazing look with the “saturation” bar on Photoshop, it’s been the butt of more jokes among serious reefers than any other coral!

[​IMG]
    No, we don't have any frags of it right now, so don't ask...

3) “Monti Cap”- Montipora capricornus- Ok, if you’re in a reef club, you are pretty much “issued” one as soon as you walk in the door. Much like the flu, this is probably the most easily shared thing that you’ll find at any frag swap. In fact, I’d hazard a guess that if you don’t find at least three varieties of Monti Cap at your next local frag swap, the end of the world is nigh. It’s that pervasive. And why not? It’s one of the easiest “SPS” corals to keep, it frags super easily (I mean, you look at it wrong and you get a frag out of it), and travels well. Ok, readers of this column know that I hate the thing, but its significance in the hobby earns it a spot on my list!

[​IMG]
    I hate you...but I salute you.

4) Zoas and Palys- Zoanthus sp. & Palythoa sp.- Yeah, “Z’s and P’s” earn a spot in almost every reefer’s tank- and their heart. With a seemingly infinite variety of color morphs available, and more being “discovered” all the time, it’s little wonder why they are so polar. So what if the popular names are absolutely absurd, that there are no officially recognized naming conventions for them, and that some command obscene prices for a single polyp. The entertain and excite reefers worldwide, and they’re pretty fun to keep, too!

5) “Chalices”- Echinophyllia, Mycedium, Oxypora, Echinopora, etc.- Sure, they are generally only found in “microchip” sizes in most reefers’ tanks, and sure, they are often obscenely overpriced, but they hold an allure that few reefers seem to be able to resist. Seriously, what other coral could get you to pay hundreds of dollars for an “eye” (ok, for the last time- it’s a MOUTH!) for the privilege of bragging that you have a “Reverse Nuclear Meltdown Tree Hugger Chalice” in your reef? If the names won’t drive you nuts, paying the credit card bill and explaining to your spouse why you spent $400 for a 1/2” piece of tissue will. The official ambassador of the “LE” movement, Chalices represent both the promise and the absurdity of the coral hobby.

[​IMG]
    There is nothing sexy about overly-saturated Chalice pics.

6) “Millies”- Acropora millepora- Any variety of “Millie” is pretty much “sacred” in the reef hobby, particularly to hardcore “SPS” freaks! It’s one of the few corals that makes me feel that someone will actually do a “monospecific” (one species) reef one day, with more than one reefer I know considering devoting their entire reef to multiple varieties of this species. The “Millie” has a large number of color and growth variants, is hardy, easy to frag, and provides hours of pleasure to its owners. The darned things grow really well if they’re happy, too, and have an ultra “hariy” appearance with numerous polyps. All in all, one of the best corals in the hobby, if you ask me.

7) “Mushroom” Coralimorphs - Discosoma, Rhodactis, Ricordea- How can you not consider these babies as all-time reef faves? With so many colors and varieties to choose from, along with ease of care, rapid growth, and affordable pricing, it’s little wonder why people love ‘em so much. And, the best part about them is that, with a few notable exceptions, they don’t usually sport stupid names like most other popular corals! Usually, it’s more like, “Green Rhodactis”, “Multicolor Ricordea”, or “Blue Mushroom”… This is a big plus, in my book!

8) Xenia- Okay, bash it if you will, call it a “weed’, relegate it to the refugium- whatever. You’ll never convince me otherwise that this isn’t one of the most popular and most sought-after corals in the hobby. Seriously, I can’t tell you how much Xenia we sell each year, nor could I tell you how many specimens are snapped up at local frag swaps, despite its unearned reputation as the joke of the coral world. Seemingly unrespected, but always grabbed by almost everyone at the swaps, Xenia is possibly the most pervasive coral in the hobby today. It’s really hard to think of a reefer who hasn’t kept this coral at least one in his or her “career.”

[​IMG]
    Ahh..The "Beautiful Weed"

Okay, that's my top eight..You take it from here.

Have fun, keep it nice, buy some corals from us this weekend, and above all..

Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
    Unique Corals

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

You sure are right about Xenia.I remember how thrilled I was to have it pulsing away and growing quickly in my tank.In my next tank I was equally as thrilled to have eradicated it (almost)while reusing the rock from the previous tank.

4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I love seeing these posts from you. I always enjoy them :) I would also have to add Kenya Trees to the list. I remember how much I wanted one, and, just like that, I didn't anymore lol

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think you've just about covered what I would think about in a list. I'm with Cam in tht I always enjoy your write ups - love the humor :)

6. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

Ive never had xenia yet but I like it.My favorite corals are gsp and frogspawn.Now on to a question because I have no idea how to get it answered.I cant find where to start a thread,can someone help me

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Click on a topic in the list of forums,then click on start new thread at the top of the page.

8. Click Here!

9. dsmerf214

dsmerf214 Fire Shrimp

yes, don't forget the euphyllia. my personal favorites. I have 4 and would get more if i found some nice specimens:) When I started up my torch was the thing I was most excited about getting. always love your posts:)

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Nope, NO Birdsnest? No Candy Canes?

And really? Xenia? Really?
    If you want to spend lots of money eradicating it from your system- sure, go ahead and get some, oh yea, so nice when it pulses.
    That's one I've never had, and never will.