The Great LED Debate

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Reef Breeders, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Okay, just figured 250watts would be more power, correct? Unless you wanted me to test an mh bulb that used the same wattage? I know 175watts is less power than the chinese fixtures have, I can tell you that much. Do you have those bulbs? Perhaps you can take the readings instead of me, as even if I spend the money on the bulbs, reflectors and ballasts, you will still not believe the numbers I give you. What is the point?

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Nope, I would be happy if you could double the output of the 175.

4. Reef Breeders

I didnt say one fixture was double the power of 250watt mh, I said 2 fixtures was double the power, using a little less electrcity. You are putting words in my mouth.

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

What are you talking about? What is the wattage of the fixture?

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

or just match it with half of the wattage?

7. Reef Breeders

I mean you can match the power with half the wattage, and the right optics. perhaps you just read it wrong, by "or you can double up the LEDs, and have twice the power" I meant you can do 2 fixtures for every 24" of tank, and have the equivalent of 2 250watt mh pendents every 2 feet. I will admit, I would think that I was crazy too, if I was under the assumption that I believed you could get twice the power with half the watts, maybe in the future, but now? No way!

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

I am talking a 120watt or 96watt fixture, with crees you could get away with just 100 watts, provided they are XT-Es.

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I would be interested in seeing the results vs either of those fixtures. Not that I think you are truly qualified nor have the knowledge and understanding to do true unbiased testing. This being because you seem to so casually discount the most respected unbiased testing methods in the industry!

I would far more prefer you send your fixtures to an independent tester like Sanjay who can run them through the same standardized testing like PAR, distribution and spectrum. I have recommended it several times in these threads but I get the feeling that you don't have full confidence that your fixture will stack up against his testing procedures. It will cost you nothing more than the shipping postage to and from Sanjay. I mean come on, even Orphek put there money where their mouth was and actually fared quite well compared to the the other fixtures on the market. In reality, you are a manufacturer and any testing by you will always be seen with some skepticism.

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

In my FINAL thought, only you LED manufacturers have the power to end these debates. There is already methods in place and a standards testing protocol. Step up and be counted!

We have been down this road before with Orphek. The claimed that their PR156 would perform as well as a 400w MH. I called BS and after many months they finally sent the fixture to Sanjay. While they did prove they could achieve max par numbers that of a 400w MH, they also showed it would take 3.5 - 4 fixtures to to do it over the same given area that a 400w MH was lighting. Save all of us advanced hobbyist the time and energy and just sent the product for independent testing using a standard that we all respect.

12. Reef Breeders

Okay, we will get into contact with sanjay about testing our fixtures.