The Great LED Debate

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Reef Breeders, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Trent don't do it, hes just a boy!!!

Exotic corals has a good experiment with radion and 20k radiums on each side of their big display. The owner said both grow pretty well, some corals look better under led some under halide.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

<Insert all LED debate HERE>

4. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

So now why does everyone come at me in the LED q&a thread but here... (insert crickets chirping). I am sorry, but I just do not understand. Feel free to debate here, I would like it if the debate was here rather than the q&a thread. :(

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I think the people debating you on your q&a thread are debating you on what you say on the q&a thread.;)
    Maybe just copy everything you say on that thread onto this one.Just a thought.;D

6. Reef Breeders

Good point Vinny!

7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I'll start as this is a better thread to debate the effectiveness of LED vs. other forms of lighting. I must say I enjoyed our debate earlier and hope you understand that I was only trying to add to your explanations to enhance them.

Please show me where this proof is. I'm not saying it's not there I am just looking for the proof. I'm sure it's overwhelming! Based on your above comment, it looks as if you are discounting facts or fact based science (the scientific data provided by Dr. Sanjay Joshi.)

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

Well, I speak mostly from experience. Like I said before, I have tried, and built, plenty of LED fixtures, and some were not so good, some okay, and some were awesome. All used less power than mh. I have learned from trial and error, you want to add reds, greens, and violets in addition to the royals and cool whites. I say this over and over again, you can get results as good as, or better than metal halide, using less electricity with LEDs. Is this true or is this not true? Have you tried LEDs, and what did you try. I would like more background information on your experience with LEDs, research is research, but everyones tank is different. Sanjay might have different parameters than you, or me, or the next guy. Personally, the only part of the research I look at is the growth part. when it comes to colors, well the only way to find out is to try the colors yourself, which is exactly what I, and a lot of hobbiests have done.

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Sanjay's data is great as it removes all other variables. None of that other stuff matters as he is just analyzing the output, spectrum, and spread/distribution.

I have owned or played with the following LEDs:
    AI Sol Blue
    AI Sol Nano
    Ecoxotic Panorama Pro w/ RGB option and multiple stunner strips
    Ecoxotic 100w Cannon
    Orphek PR-156
    Kessil A150
    Kessil A350 (pre-release model)

I have very close friends and club members who run these:
    AI Sol White
    Ecotech Radion
    Maxspect Mazarra
    Acan Lighting Prism
    Acan Lighting 600 series
    Maxspect Razor (pre-release model)
    Sfiligoi Astra

What experience do you have with T5 and Metal Halide? Please list.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  11. Reef Breeders

Metal halides: 175watt on my tank for almost a year, several locals who use mh that I frequently swap frags with. All of them have issues with heat, as did I with my mh.
    T-5s, had them for 6 months on my dt, 1 year on a couple frag tanks, and same as mh with locals. Heat is not as much of a concern as the cost of bulb changes, and on larger tanks electricity.
    LEDs, a few diy, a ton of chinese fixtures, and the radion and ai sol.
    In my opinion, the diy and chinese fixtures were the better options, strictly because of the ability to add colors like violets, reds, greens, and blues in whatever ratio I wanted to. And that is true, the spectral analyzation is the part of the scientific research that matters the most IMO. I like to leave the results part to what I, and other hobbiests are experiencing. Also, how did the LEDs work for you? I am curious to know why you still stick with mh after trying so many LEDs, have you tried a fixture with violet LEDs? I find that a lot of manufactured fixtures lack the 420nm spectrum, which is very beneficial. Even still, I have good results with the "old school" royal blue and cool white XP-E combo. I know that the orphek has violets, did you try the one with the true uv-a LEDs? I am curios to see if uv actually has a benefit, I know violet does.

12. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Please list the specifics for the MH (bulbs, ballasts, Reflector/fixture)
    Please lists the specifics for the T5 (bulbs, reflectors/fixture)