Tatted4ever's Review on Super Reef Octopus XP-2000

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by tatted4ever, Nov 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Super Reef Octopus XP-2000 Cone Skimmer Review.

This is my first product review I have written up for 3reef and I’m glad it’s the XP. I will be using XP instead typing out the gruesome long Super Reef Octopus XP-2000.

This is my first “high end” skimmer. I originally had a Aqua Euro 135 Classic skimmer when I erected my 90 gallon. That was a jump from the seaclone. I thought my Aqua Euro was AWESOME. But as time went by and I saw more and more skimmers I realized how UN-awesome it was. Time went by and not too much skim was being collected. No knock on the skimmer. But it had no wow factor to it for me. Could been multiple reasons that I soon learned with th XP. Probably cause I didn’t maintain a constant water level. So after frustrations with adjusting and cleaning I started this thread to see what 3reef members could suggest for me.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/what-skimmer-250-500-90gal-70911.html

I had given a good size budget for a quality skimmer. The overall consensus of that thread was varied. But Dr. Frag had pointed out the new line of skimers by Reef Octopus. So I nosed deeper in that line. He also mentioned that the XP was to be released soon. I checked it out and saw I had a contestant to win my money. Another contestant was the Vertex line. Other 3reef’ers had posted great things bout em.

So I had focused on the XP and the Vertex line. Vertex proven and good value. But the XP left me without much to work with. Hasn’t been released yet. But had that ever so beautiful cone shape with the extra attractive bubble blaster pump that has been getting good reviews on when performing on the Super Reef Octopus 5000 ext. I also had seen some videos on this pump.

So I poked more at the XP. As I searched more I had seen this skimmer was getting tons of criticism on the original design. Neck too small for such a large pump. Skimmer will over flow. Skim too dry. So on and so forth.
    [​IMG]

But right before I was ready to purchase they came out with the final design which incorporated a gate valve. So I choose the XP. I chose the XP over vertex for two reason. Liked what I was hearing on pump and it had a cone body.
    [​IMG]

Well I went with my gut thinking how the hell could CoralVue make such a blunder on their first cone and make a garbage skimmer. Didn’t make sense to me.

So I went against all the critics and ordered one at the release time of Sept 30th 09. Pricing is awesome versus all other previous cones. Guess you can call this an “economy cone”.

I was on the books for the first shipment and had mine drop shipped from CoralVue. I was ecstatic when I had recvd that package.
    Box looked exactly like this
    [​IMG]

Opened up the box and heres what I got
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Constructing this skimmer was easy as 1.2.3.
    [​IMG]

I was truly impressed with the overall look and size to it. Things in person are tons better than pics. I really was happy with the look and construction of the pump.

The pumps rating off the pump tag reads 25 w at 1200lph which again is different than the advertised 1400lph a 30w. So the advertised rating was causing the criticisms. Looks like coralvue caused some unwanted criticism with those numbers.
    [​IMG]

The collection cup is huge with the nice drain making emptying a breeze.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the fun part was to put this in my sump. I had removed a wall in my sump do to the larger footprint of which I measured 12x10 compared to the advertised 12.5x12.

Went in nicely plugged it in and it was awesome. Starting producing skim mate with in an hour after some adjusting to the red knob on gate valve after I had set the 6inch water level. ( I laid on the floor for a whole hour just to see this… was awesome. I closed the cabinet door and let it be.
    [​IMG]

After 24 hours
    [​IMG]

Later through out the week I had to keep adjusting and was getting quite frustrated with it. Then I soon realized that my ato is not keeping that constant level. Even a ¼ inch in level fluctuation will cause for an adjustment.

After one week I had 2-2.5 inches of skim mate. (sorry no pic)
    So all that adjusting led me to purchasing a 20 long baffling it out. Had my ato to my return section so the skimmer section was absolutely constant.

The 6 inch water level did give me some troubles. Cause if over 6 inches will leave no room for adjustments and will overflow the body. Not too much room to work with when jumping from skimmer section to return. But I had came up with a solid solution leaving me with a constant 6 inches in skimmer section during water evaporation and top off.
    After a week with solid water level it produced this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A month later it is still producing a constant amount of skim after each week. I am truly happy with this purchase. I haven’t adjusted it since putting in my new sump.

The bubble blaster pump is virtually silent. Only noise complaint is the output back into sump causing water noise which is irritating after a while. I fixed that by inserting a 90 degree elbow into the exit valve which points into the water.

So what is my overall rating??? 9/10 I give this. Why not 10/10? Cause of the water level that is required for this. But other than that it is a real winner. Solid body, pump, and overall performance will make me recommend this skimmer to intermediate/advanced reefers.

Anything else that I didnt cover please ask.

Patrick (tatted4ever)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    7 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Excellent write up Patrick. Sounds like a very good choice. Glad to hear how well the pump performs and is quiet.

I'm sure the discrepancy is from what the pump can actually do, and what it does in the skimmer at recommended water level. By running the skimmer in a low 6" of water, it puts more back pressure on the pump and reduces flow.

That is because the pump is too big. So you need to run it low. But that isn't exactly bad. The thing is you have all the pump you will ever need. No mods, no tweaks. Right out of the box you have all you need.

The only thing I see is that the body size is what the limiting factor is. Super Reef says moderately stocked up to 200. My personal opinion is that I would not go more than 150g. And that is only based on what similar sized bodies will do.

Any way..... not a slam at all. Compared to other skimmers similarly sized, this looks like a home run with performance and price.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

excellent review Tatted4ever

its a great looking unit IMO

Steve

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Nice review.

K+

6. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Nice work, Patrick! Your write-up seems to be objective and concise, while enjoyable and informative. I'm glad to hear such good news, and the note on the 90 degree elbow might be key with the gate valve exiting at this level. That would make for a lot of noise indeed.

As you know, my new XP is sitting dry for now. I got my 20 long tonite. I have my pump, my skimmer, and my resolve. As soon as I get the 20 drilled and figure out my method of mechanical filtration, I'll have a new build thread. However, as far as threads go, THIS thread is yours, so back to it!

Thanks again for the review. Sounds like a great skimmer. You were my main impetus for pulling the trigger on this one. I'll be sure to share my findings with 3reef as well. :)

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

What is the actual foot print of that bad boy and the diameter of the bottom of the cone.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Agreed, great write up Patrick. :clapping: ( I tweeted this one! )

What was your solution? Those baffles in the pic?

And thanks Powerman for those explanations - that all makes sense now.

matt

10. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Thank You!!!

Powerman your always good for the additional insight that has good value.

I had read that this skimmer is rated for 180 with med bioload. What is a med bioload??? no idea

Thank You Sir

Thank You... K+ is always good

Thanks Sparky... Mark my words this is key to a quiet XP

It is a great skimmer.... Glad I could be the one to cause the financial damage ;)

Sorry dude, tape measue in bottom of tool bucket and skimmer bottom is in water

Thank you.....Sweeeeeet on the tweet!!!!

My solution to the water level was the baffles as pictured. But I took out the sponge that was in the baffle due to it being clogged so quickly. I resorted back to the stock spong on my mag 9.5 return pump. This was a solid easy solution.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. I thought it was the baffles. That was a nice idea. I may do that with mine if needed.

12. rz1a

rz1a Plankton

has anyone tried the external or have any comments about the external?