Tankless and Stung

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CupidofCrime, Jan 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

So the move to Las Vegas went well.
    However In the process of breaking down and giving away my livestock (didn't want them to go to LFS) I got hit by a 3-4inch Bristleworm in my system. :-/

Didn't think too much of it, grabbed some Duct Tape and removed the bristles.

Now a week later, my joint is achey and feels arthritic. It gets hot at times, is hard to bend, itchy, and is overall just painful. My question is if anyone else has experienced the ache i speak of? :confused: I thought bristles just left you with spines all over?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You need to have a doctor look at it.

There are tons of nasty bacteria in our tanks.

As with any injury involving a port of entry (break in the skin) that does not immediately or shortly resolve it's best to error on the side of caution.

4. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

UGH ...Didn't think about an infection, will go get some cortisone cream tonight and monitor it. Thanks Corailline.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry to hear of the injury.

6. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Any steroid cream is the last thing you want to put on there if it is infected. Steroids help with autoimmune diseases and treat things such as psorasis and eczema rashes. They also help reduce inflammation and allergic responses due to allergies. They are the opposite of what you need for an infection and people who take systemic steroids are more prone to develop infections

You need to see an MD and might need antibiotics

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Glad I read your post before I posted more or less what you said!

Sounds like you're getting a septic joint

Actually, any PA, NP, DO/MD can treat this!
    Go to at least an Urgent Care- NOW if you haven't already

Let us know what happens

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I would definitely go and get it checked out ASAP.

10. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Yea I am an RN and was actually at work when I read this post. Makes me remember why people come into the ED with a black foot, hand, finger, toe, whatever it may be and than look shocked when you tell them their home remedy to treat their blister has not worked over the past few months and they need an amputation.

As mentioned our tanks have an ungodly number of bacteria our bodies are not used to seeing. It is important to go to an MD when needed and tell them about our hobby so they know to look for specific diseases such as fish TB and so on. Not to be a wuss but whenever I have an open wound I do my best to stay out of the reef for at least 24-48 hours. After that amount of time your body has at least grown the first layer of skin cells over the wound to seal it off from infection but the longer the better. If I have a wound that comes in contact with my reef or is caused by my reef I immediately rinse and use antibiotic ointment to prevent infection and then watch it for a while until its healed to make sure everythings ok.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

A retired RN myself.

The horror stories I could tell about little innocuous stings, spines, cuts, abrasions.

Better to spend the money and see an MD now and have them tell you it's nothing and provide prophylatic antibiotic therapy then do spend thousands on hospital bills.

Trust me your health is just not worth ignoring it over.

1 person likes this.
  12. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

Thanks guys for the advice, my mom is a RN as well. I showed her, and we will be going to a GP sometime this week. The bactrin with silver has helped gain a bit of mobility back, and the aspirin has taken the swelling down. No trailing or turning colors which is good. I'll let ya know if the Doc looks at me sideways...