tank advice

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by oldfishkeeper, Jul 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

There seem to be one good review of them for every 1000 :uneasy:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

there is a specific way to break the siphon? That's what scares me the most. The entire contents of the tank spilling onto the floor. :-/

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

With a drilled overflow, no. With a HOB overflow, yes. That is why I am saying go with a drilled overflow tank :)

As far as what tank, if you need to stay with a 3' long tank, then yes, definitely a 65. If you go to a 4' long, then go with a 75 or 90 (same footprint, 90 is taller).

Edit: There is a big difference in that one foot extra for the smaller Tangs, if you had any desire (or do you already have one)? The 3' length is pretty restrictive as far as big swimmers IMO.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You drill 2 small holes in your return lines below the water level in your tank. The returns and drilled holes will be in the display. You keep your water level in the sump low enough so that when the power goes off the siphon breaks before the water overflows the sump.

1 person likes this.
  6. oldfishkeeper

No, I think I'm fine with no tangs. I like my 54 corner. I just know people enjoy the dimensions of a 40 breeder so that's my thinking on that one. My lighting will also work on the 36 inch. It just makes sense to have a sump from everything I read.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

John may have caught what you were trying to say. I thought you were referring to restarting a siphon, vs. breaking one after you shut a pump off. In addition to what John said, you can also place the return jets high in the tank so that even if the siphon didn't break, only so much water could siphon. Once you get this figured out, it can really be made fool proof.

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Perfect, than 65 it is ;D

10. oldfishkeeper

ok, thx! I'm sure it will make sense when I actually see it and can see it in process. I seem to be able to figure out things most times :) I'm kind of excited actually now that you all have helped with the spillage fear lol

oh, and websites and everything! thx all!

11. oldfishkeeper

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid