T5s Q&A

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Dr.Fragenstein, Nov 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Makes it much easier to see the difference in the two bulbs. They are nearly exact up until the red. The ATI seems more in the orange spectrum. I would imagine you could go too far with the KZ bulb easier than the ATI bulb.

I'm going with a single KZ in my setup and the rest an even mix of coral+ and Blue+ I have decided. I'm also going to go with only 2 vhos instead of 4.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sounds good. Doing some quick math based off of a 75 gallon tank you would really only need 8 bulbs total. This would definitely save you some money on bulbs and electricity. I would suggest using 3 or 4 actinic bulbs, the Fiji Purple and an even mix of blue + and coral + if you use just the 10 bulb fixture.

4. Nogascans

Nogascans Plankton

thanks for the reply! I did some research thru google and couldn't find any feedback, postive or negative on the vendor or light. I'm guessing its a Chinese knock off/private label brand. IF its like with electronics including TVs, a lot of what is there is same as brand name except fine finish. Seems like a good deal, adn I figure I will need to replace or upgrade the lamps when I can. I read the thread on lighting tube selection, so hopefully I have a roadmap when I'm ready. I'll get the light fixture up a little higher if i can, and I had kinda figured I would need to modify the legs anyway due to the bowfront top being irregular in shape and wider in front than back.

Sincerely,

David

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You are better off with a fixture that uses high quality parts especially the ballasts and reflectors. You want a fixture with individual reflectors if possible and a formed w shape the goes half way around the bulbs as a minimum for a SPS dominant tank. These items give the most light to the tank.

Sounds like you have done your homework. Do not stop doing the homework as this tends to provide the most success and joy in our hobby.

6. Nogascans

Nogascans Plankton

thanks for the vote of confidence. I really don't mind spending cash for a good product, I hate over spending for something.

One issue I need to address before purchasing is size of light cabinet. With my bowfront, the top opening along front is not straight, but curves out in front. For reference, dimensions of aquarium from center of front for width are 22", Height is 22", and width at widest is 48", with sides canted back to a 37" width for back. The actual opening on the top is roughly 35" wide X 14" deep to 1st plastic divider (between that and back is filter, Emperor 400) I have a shimmer in back right corner that hangs off side and top extends approximately 4 1/2" above top.

IF I use the 6 bulb design, I am dealing with a 36"W X 13"D assembly, not counting legs. I may need to come up with some sort of custom leg for each side to hold above waterline (at least above skimmer at 4 1/2"). My Wife has kind of nixed the idea of hanging it down from ceiling.

IF I were to utlizie a 4 bulb unit, (like a Aquaticlife Lunar 35.5" X 10"), I have a better chance of fitting it.

Two questions then, #1 is a 4 bulb T5 HO unit enough?
    # 2, is there anything lost or bad about having the 6 bulb light extend over the skimmer slightly (outflow)

thanks again for your help.

David

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

A 4 bulb unit should work fine just make sure you keep SPS and high light clams beneath the fixture.

You might get a greater growth of algae on the skimmer outflow from the 6 bulb unit but otherwise no problems.

8. Click Here!

9. Nogascans

Nogascans Plankton

Thanks again!

If you ever need help with or advise on home electronics or automation, PM and I will be glad to help.

David

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Will do, thanks

11. dis 1

dis 1 Astrea Snail

Aquactinics TX5

can you guys help me out on a bulb combo for this fixture? i have lps, softies, and a clam in my tank

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

2 ATI Blue Plus and 3 ATI Coral Plus for a lighter look or 3 ATI Blue Plus and 2 ATI Coral Plus for a darker look. Alternate the bulbs so the same colors are not next to each other.