T5 vs LED lights

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Nicholasngkw, Aug 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nicholasngkw

Nicholasngkw Plankton

Comparing with both lights as shown in the picture, T5HO GLO or wavepoint LED, what would you guys recommend is more effective/cheaper/power saving/etc?
    Also when coming to choosing a light for reef tanks, what would take into account, the wattage?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Neither one. If you're in the market for reef lighting on a tight budget, check out http://reefbreeders.com/

Wattage of individual diodes, total number of diodes, and spectral output.

mdbostwick likes this.
  4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Which is more effective is relative, are you trying to grow coral or anemone, if so what kinds?

Cheaper and power saving is gonna be your led fixture over time due to bulb replacement.

What you really need to take into consideration when choosing is what you have in the tank, or what you want to have. I can tell you right out of the gate, if you want coral, unless that led fixture only has 10 diodes you don't want it. Fowlr it would make a fine fixture but anything photosynthetic will not be happy.

When looking at leds you want ones that have 3 watt diodes. That is what coral will require.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Dont cut corners by purchasing cheap lighting.

mdbostwick, Servillius and Mr. Bill like this.
  6. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I've noticed that reefbreeders is only running 2 watts per chip on their newer fixtures. this is why I went with reef radiance.

7. Nicholasngkw

Nicholasngkw Plankton

mainly soft corals and anemone, SPS are abit more difficult to handle. thats about all, am also quite afraid of uncontrollable algae problems if the lightings are too strong or turned on for too many hours. i usually have that kinda problem for my smaller tank. 2 week/25% water change still doesnt really help sometimes

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Algae is not an issue of lights as much as it is nutrients.... a nutrient free vessel with pure sunlight will not grow algae whereas one with excess nutrients will grow it madly

mdbostwick likes this.
  10. Nicholasngkw

Nicholasngkw Plankton

So how does one maintain the control of algae? I've tried growing green star polyps a couple of times but always fail, mushrooms on the other hand are doing great (guess they're alot hardier). Can antone advice? More water change, less fish less feeding? Protein skimmer , algone sachets