SUPER SKIMMER 1 PROTEIN SKIMMER by CORALIFE

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Speedy, Nov 13, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Heh. That's really retro. ;D

It does work.

But

1) it sits in your tank
    2) it's level goes out of whack with evap from the tank so you are always adjusting it if you don't have a float switch for evap.

A good friend of mine had that same skimmer in 1991 on his clown tank. It helped at the time.

But now I think you would be much better suited with something newer. You can scrape by with that, but you will tinker with it a lot. Some people like that.

A lot of people bash air-stone skimmers these days. But for the record from this old guy, they work! And some of them work really well! I am speaking from experience. I had a couple 24"x6" ones that could still out skim a lot of skimmers. The key is keeping the air-stones clean by scaping them a few weeks in, and then replacing them a few weeks later. You also need a strong air pump and a way to keep the water level.

If you want a good air-stone model, the only serious ones I see these days are made by Precision Marine.

Anyway these days, you'd find a decent skimmer for the money in the Remora, Prism Pro, Nautilus, etc... there are a bunch. Go fish! :)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

HOW LONG IS THIS CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER I ?

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

AHHH the days of cutting my own limewood airstones! Actually limewood was pretty hard to come by so I switched to oak. The skimmer will work but it is alot of hands on it is also pretty easy to diy if you want to try it

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I'm actually using one right now. Man, air is truly a hassle. Mines in the sump with its own chamber, so the water level isn't an issue for me. My problems are the lines clog with salt creep so you have to monitor them closely, the limewood airstones break down fairly quickly (decompisition lowers ph and lessons the air flow thru them.. Actually, it makes the loose the porosity and usually the bubbles just start streaming out of one area) and the bracket that hold them on is truly hooptie.

I use a dual luft pump to supply air, so I can dial them in via the lufts controllers rather then put more back pressure on the diaphram.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I just bought recieved mines today. I am using it for my 4 gallon nano reef. I had to cut it down to fit in the sump of my mini bio-wheel filter. (minus the biowheel). All I need is a airline 3 way connect to connect my dual outlet air pump and I will see if it will do me any justice. The picture of the skimmer makes it look smaller than it really is. (THATS WHY I WANTED TO KNOW THE LENGTH OF IT)
    GOT TO MAKE IT WORK.
    WILL KEEP YOU POSTED

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

AHH join up as we are close to 300 members...then we get a clam if lucky