Suggestions for mounting Kessil 350 in hood.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Greg9MM, Jun 23, 2017.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I am upgrading from a 150 high to a 6 foot 220 gallon. I have kessil 350s on my 150 and bought one more to put all 3 on the 220. I also bought the hood for the top of the tank and I am not sure how to mount the lights. Obviously I am going to have to drill or cut into the hood, but before I start I would like to see if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to do it.

The couple ideas I have;

1) Buy a long bolt and drill through the top of the hood and screw the bolt into the light.

2) Drill one inch holes into the hood and use the hook that comes with the pendants to hang the light through the hole.

These two ideas I dont like because I have no access to the controls on the lights.

3) Use a jig saw to cut oval holes in the hood and mount the lights flush with the underside of the hood so I have access to the lighting controls.

I am not crazy about this idea either because the fan on the back of the unit will have a small hole to blow through.

Looking forward to any help anyone has to offer.

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I like the flush idea for a clean look. Also, try and think of ease of removal of the lights for cleaning, air flow, adjusting, ect. Just make sure you get plenty of air flow through the hood.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  4. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

someone in another group sent me a link for a kit that kessil makes. I am not too sure about it though because my hood is low. i am confused damnit

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

How about cutting holes big enough to have the kessils look like there kinda floating just above the hood where the bottom of lights are flush with the hood....make sense? Lol

6. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

ok. so lights are in and I dont like the look. A lot of dark spots around the top. I want to by a 5 or 6 foot single bulb strip light to supplement the kessils. Can anyone suggest a cheap one or can I just go to home depot and buy one? Its for lighting only, dont need any growing help.