stringy white mucus

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by crustytheclown, Mar 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

ive got this string white stuff thats in all 3 of my tanks. it just started a few days ago and its got me pretty worried. Here is a pic of the stuff. I dont know what it is or whats causing it. Help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. tonythereefer

tonythereefer Fire Shrimp

hmm, what are your water parameters, tank size? are you dosing anything, CA, ALK, vodka?

at first glance it looks like it could be a type of bacterial bloom

4. crustytheclown

its happening in 3 of my tanks. my alk and calcium are fine. i do dose 2 of my tanks. just calcium and alk.

5. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

If it's all 3 tanks simultaneously and they're not connected, I would start with any commonalities they have. First thing that comes to mind is the make-up water. Do you use your own RODI or get from a LFS or use tap water? Do you use a common salt mix station for all three? Did you recently mix a batch and get some contamination in it?

I agree, it looks like a bacterial bloom.

6. crustytheclown

i use spectra pure ro/di filter. just changed all the filters on it about a month or so ago. I use salinity salt mix. I keep my mixing buckets clean and keep my ro reservoir clean. Been doing to same things for years?

7. daido

daido Plankton

looks to me like organic-oxidising bacteria,the guys that make the ammonia. You said you started the tank a few days ago.Maybe you added too many fish too quickly. Check your ammonia and nitrite levels. If you started just a few days ago why do you have corals? Where did you get the rock from?

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

He didn't start the tank a few days ago. He said the problem started a few days ago. Keeo an eye on your ammonia for a possible spike.