STC1000 Temperature controller build.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Rustynuts, Jul 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Flamingo Tongue

Well, I thought I'd show you what I use to cool my tank, coupled to this controller.

[​IMG]

It's a little 12v clip on fan, and runs at 7w. Sort of like a tiny hair dryer. It doesn't push out huge volumes of air (unlike the 10" desk fan we used previously) but the fact that it's directed precisely where a powerhead ripples the surface means that it cools very well indeed.

The tank is a Percula 90 and this little fan holds it down at 26° very well. The large 10" fan blowing across the surface of the tank was virtually ineffective in comparison. So, a concentrated blast at the surface is way better than loads of air wafting somewhere over there.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Very nice. What brand is that fan? It looks familiar.

4. Rustynuts

The box it came in is branded SunSun (who make dirt cheap and very good for the price powerheads) but I bought it from a firm in the UK who market and sell all sorts of similar stuff. This is where I got it. Link.

They're available here for $20 delivered free. Link.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. joff

joff Plankton

Hi all I'm new on the forum.
    I just came across this post looking for something similar. really interresting: i just purchased a stc-1000.

Rustynuts a question for you. I've no datasheet nor the stc-1000 but why did you fused the in-line and not the line on the 2 relays?

thanks for sharing

cheers
    joff

6. Rustynuts

Sorry for the late reply, just caught up here.

I fused the unit at 3amps because that's all it needs. A 3amp fuse will blow and protect the unit if necessary. The two relays simply switch power, so the heaters/coolers plugged into the power bar are already fused at the correct rating for themselves in their own plugs. A 3amp fuse running the whole thing could be overwhelmed by a 300w heater switching on, so it would be useless fusing the whole thing that way.

7. dragit

dragit Plankton

This is cool! I actually have one of these thermostats. Got out on e bay for $13.

I plan on buying a Apex jr... but this could save me a little money for the time being

8. Click Here!

9. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

That's awesome!

I think I need to build one of these for my tank. I have fans all on timers but sometimes they go on when they don't need to and this would help!

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

So, It doesn't actually control the power via thermostat to the heaters plugged in to it? It's got to, right?

I have a heater controller that works well, I think it's called a Geisman?

11. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

12. Vu Nguyen

Vu Nguyen Flamingo Tongue

< $35 :); Maybe a bit more as the person who does it on RC does not have the outlet which can be from $5 to $10....