Stabilizing pH With Your Controller

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

All the gee-whiz stuff with aquarium controllers are great, but I think the ability to graph conditions over time with probes might be a real aide, especially on a nano aquarium. So I've been studying my pH lately - looking over the weeks for patterns and zooming in on daily shifts. What an eye-opener this has been. My pH is all over the road with a bit more variation than is healthy I fear. I need to address it, but first I am trying to understand it. Just take a look at that massive pH drop below. That happened right after the refugium light went off and the actinics went on. I think this tells me light overlap is needed. I've had it in the past and probably need to bring it back. The controller is paying off.

What have you learned from your controller graphs?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Also - zooming out to weekly pH views has been interesting. Some weeks are more stable than others causing me to wonder what was different. Temp? Feeding? Skimmer issues? Water change routines?

This is fun. And a great way to learn. :)

matt

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

That's interesting. Have you seen a pattern with how pH fluctuations relate to alkalinity?

Matt Rogers likes this.
  5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Great idea Billme. I will start looking at alk in relation to this. I do test alkalinity a lot, and it has been stable. But perhaps I am testing it at the same times (mostly after work). I'll sample a few different times this weekend, note the pH and follow up here.

mdbostwick and Billme like this.
  6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I'll follow along Matt. From what I understand, as alkalinity is supposed to help limit pH from dropping, what I'm wondering is if it helps limit fluctuations.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah that is my understanding too but I wonder if there is more in play here. My doser covers alk once an hour.

Worth an investigation all the same if only to rule it out.

8. Click Here!

9. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

After experiencing what i did with my tank's PH issues. I'm convinced that most PH issues come from air quality in the home. Too much CO2. It happened to me, where my tank turned into a big calcium reactor during the summer months when the apartment AC was on full blast and all the windows closed.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Aye, I've read that quite a bit and I do have plans to run an airline through an old phone land-line hole in the wall to the outside.

My big point here is that the probe and software around it allow me to see the trends over time in a fluid way over physical testing. And that nanos are finicky beasts. :)

11. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

Nano's are a challenge to maintain a tight parameter. Good luck with the mission and keep us updated.

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Man I want a controller....

Matt Rogers likes this.