skimmer suggestions for 55g

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by mikekx65, Feb 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

I have a 55 gallon with a 20gallon sump. Looking to buy a skimmer for $100 or less. What do you guys suggest??

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

How deep is the water in your sump??Do you have a bubble trap??Is there a skimmer section?If so what are the dimensions??

4. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Water is 9" deep. Yes I have a bubble trap. And the intake/skimmer section is 11"x11.5" and 9" deep. Also there is about 20" from the bottom of the tank to the bottom of a shelf I have under my stand so if possible I'd like one that is less than 20" tall if not its not that big of a deal as I can raise the shelf a few inches.

5. Vinnyboombatz

6. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

For that money, if you can find one, try to find a Corallife Super Skimmer.
    As they come out of the box, they suck majorly. There are 4 or 5 modifications that are under 20 bucks for all of them that you can do and they become pretty good skimmers for a 55 gallon tank. Just don't get the CSS65, make sure its a 120 or CSS250 skimmer. The 65 wont handle a 55 gallon tank even though they rated it for a 65 gallon tank.

7. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thanks Vinnyboombatz. I will be shopping for a skimmer for my 60 gallon cube soon enough. Just started to cycle it today. The SC150 may be just right. Anyone else with input?

8. Click Here!

9. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

my first thought, was good luck!! lol

thats a limited budget for a good quality skimmer. To be honest though, the skimmer vinnie linked seems like a decent buy. other than that, i dont have much input.

10. Vinnyboombatz

To be honest.Mine too.Don't know much about the current Atman pumps but they used to be of good quality. I would also look into a good used skimmer if 100.00 is your budget. Heck if you give me a couple weeks I have 4 skimmers in my garage that need a new home.lol;)

11. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Well the $100 really isn't my budget is just like to stay fairly close to that. I hate when I ask about an item and I get people who tell me to buy some outrageously priced item when the fact of the matter is that crazy priced item isn't. Nessicary and they are just reccomending it because its the best of the best.

12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

ha ha Vinny you skimmer hoarder

1 person likes this.