Skimmer stinks like rotten Eggs

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by andru1313, Apr 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok have changed a few things with how and what I dose my tank with as well as feeding more often. Feed with Reef Frenzy frozen food and been dosing with RedSea Reef Energy A/B every other day. I still use the RSM250 stock skimmer. Came home from work today went into the basement and whoa!!!! Thought of my dogs got sick. Smelled like low tide. Strong sulfur smell. Lifted the good and water smelled normal. Pulled the top off the protein skimmer and BAM. normal amount of water and muck in there but much stronger Oder. Levels are ok. Is this somewhat normal or should I be worried? I do 5 gallon water changes every week and also have an ATO so fresh ro water is added.

After a few tank crashes every little change freaks me out.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It can get that way if it sits for several days before a change. I say it is normal. The change in food and dosing is probably the cause. As long as the DT smells good then it should be fine.

4. andru1313

Ok. Been doing research and getting some mixed response. Yes the tank smells normal so no foul odor. Didn't stir up sand bed and didn't find anything dead. I will clean the skimmer more often now i guess. My basement smells like a toxic waste dump.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Moved to ------- Protein Skimmers.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Mixed response? Hmmm...

2in10 nailed it- proteins that are trapped in the skimmer still break down and they're more highly concentrated, so the longer it sits, the worse it will smell.

7. andru1313

Thanks everyone. Mixed replies as far as google search. Appreciate the quick responses.

8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Ya I had to check mine after seeing this. 3 days since last cleaned and damn that thing is nasty and stinky..

I do not dose anything as it is basically a fowler.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That's the smell of a working skimmer. ;)

11. andru1313

Ok just needed some hand holding. My tank is (knock on wood) doing well so any change makes me a wreck.

12. JOHNMD

JOHNMD Astrea Snail

I have a HOB skimmer on my JBJ Cube that is in my family room, I empty & clean the skimmer collection cup daily otherwise the Boss gets angry due to the stink.