Skimmer Shopping

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Travis45, Apr 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I definitely will. I am really looking forward to throwing that bad boy in my sump.

2. Click Here!

3. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

The skimmer ships out today! My tank and I are definitely looking forward to receiving it.

4. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

Did you go with the cone xtreme 160?

5. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I went with the regular xtreme 160. The cone doesn't have as high bioload as the standard xtreme 160. I wanted the cone really bad but I'm going to upgrade in the future and and the bioload capabilities of the regular 160 suited me more.

6. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

cool. good luck with it, cant wait to see the results. the other threads i have read on both the cone and normal xtreme 160 yielded great results.

hrmm in my case with a 75gal tank and a 40gal long sump i have 95gal-100gal of actual water volume at any given time. i should perhaps consider the xtreme 160 instead of the cone too. plus its cheaper lol

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  7. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah thats the dilemma I faced. The cone is really awesome but the regular 160 xtreme I think its a little more then the cone, I can't remember but yeah its capacity for bioload is more. Thats why I went with it and it also has a nice small footprint, the pump is housed underneath of it. Great Skimmer and I can't wait to get it!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I would go with the Xtreme 160 over the cone. The cone is an awesome design, but the body size and extremely upgraded pump that the normal 160 has makes it a clear winner over the cone.

10. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

not to mention its price point is lower :)

thanks for the information mike. ill be ordering a NORMAL 160 as soon as I get my refund check from the gov't (*shaking fist* they're taking forever. didnt take em long to print a few trillion last year though)

11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I definitely think that considering everything about the two skimmers the normal 160 is the better deal. Don't forget that due to demands, it's also always in stock and ready to go:)

12. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

Yeah everyone wants that darn cone :) Its sold out everywhere I had looked the other day. Doesnt scale to my needs though and the normal 160 will. I know that a year down the line I will more than likely be in a 125gal tank and the 75gal will be used for a "new" predator tank setup, atleast thats the goal.