Skimmer question

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by mdbostwick, Jan 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Is it normal for a skimmer to produce a good amount of skimate for a few days and then hardly any at all for a few days? It took me a long time to try to dial it in due to it producing like this and I had decided to let it be a while without changing anything on it. Is this an issue with it not being dialed in or is it just normal operation? The skimmer still produces bubbles and everything and works the same no matter how much it produces.

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I had similar problems with mine yesterday and the day before, needed cleaned.
    I seem to find that mine works real good for the first few days then needs a bit of dialing in to be most sufficent.

mdbostwick likes this.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

mine seems to slow in production over time (in between cleanings)

mdbostwick likes this.
  5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I don't think that's abnormal. If you just added carbon, or cleaned the skimmer or even had your hands in the tank, that all could affect how well it does.

mdbostwick likes this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Different levels of nutrients produce different levels of skimmate. I don't think it's abnormal at all

mdbostwick likes this.