Skimmer Help

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by dandk2261999, Apr 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dandk2261999

dandk2261999 Bristle Worm

Hello all,

I bought a new Reef Octopus skimmer from Marine Depot and when it arrived the acrylic piece that connects the pump to the body was broken off.

I called Marine Depot and with there great customer service are offering to exchange or replace. Problem is that their reef octopus stock is out and won't be filled for 4-6 weeks so no direct replacement. Purchased the Reef Octopus NWB 150 Classic.

They are offering to exchange for a CAD Lights GEN 3 PLS 150. There are no reviews of this on their site and have not found anything online. Does anyone have experience with this skimmer or should I steer clear.

I am swapping out for an ebay SCA Aquarium skimmer that just isn't performing well.

My setup:

75 gallon
    40 gallon sump
    medium stocked

Marine depot states that this is rated for a 90 gallon heavily stocked aquarium.

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Can you stick a rubber hose in the hole in the mean time and use the skimmer you recently purchased until the replacement arrives?

4. dandk2261999

they are blaming it on shipping and said that ups may come to pick it up. so i can't use it until i know ups isn't going to pick it up.

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

get your money back and go purchase it somewhere else

6. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

This is always a possibility as well. Good advice

7. dandk2261999

Thanks everyone but I just upgraded to the 200 for 71 bucks more, still under 300.00. That way when I move to a bigger tank it will still accommodate my needs.

8. Click Here!

9. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Sweet as long as it's resolved it's all good.

10. dandk2261999

I will never knock the Marine Depot customer service. Its A+++ IMO.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I'm glad that you're getting it taken care of.

My SCA is still performing awesome, I have the one they renamed, it was the SC150, now I think it's the SCA 302? It's the one with the skimmer under the skimmer body, not inside of it.

I use my 1/4 RO/DI line and run RO/DI down the air intake tube about once a week- this keeps the venturi clean.
    I also had to recently replace the Atman 2500 pump it came with- I think the replacement was about $50- apparently they don't make that model anymore.
    They new pump came with an improved impeller- The last one lasted over 2 years- we'll see on this one.

My 2cents on the SCA simmers- best bang for the buck.
    I plan to continue using it when I go to my 180g soon.

12. dandk2261999

Todd, what level of water do you have the skimmer in. I find its way to tempermental. some days its skimming great the next its overflowing with no apparent reason why. I find that once a month I have to pull off the air intake to the atman pump to clean out the salt creep into the air line.