Silicone: dow corning 995 vs momentive rtv 103 Vs ge scs1200 black

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by nanomania, Sep 14, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Which are the best black silicone for a 180g + build? Iv never used black silicone, so asking.

dow corning 995
    momentive rtv 103
    ge scs1200 black

Iv read that cow corning 995 is used by some public aquariums, is that true? Most of the hobbyist use momentive or ge. So confused. its going to be a high flow tank with back and forth waves, 50+ times the flow. Dont want the tank to burst.. lol.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I would be surprised if there is a significant difference in the holding strength between any of those products. The key is that you do not want any mold killing additives in the silicone. I would strongly recommend setting up the tank in a safe location (i.e. outside) after you seal it... fill with water and test for a while before use. I had a 220 gallon tank rupture after I had sealed it myself and caused $12,000 in damage to my house. Lesson learned that the trim and center bracing is a key factor in structural support for any tank 75 gallons or larger.

4. dienerman

I would be surprised if there is a significant difference in the holding strength between any of those products. The key is that you do not want any mold killing additives in the silicone. I would strongly recommend setting up the tank in a safe location (i.e. outside) after you seal it... fill with water and test for a while before use. I had a 220 gallon tank rupture after I had sealed it myself and caused $12,000 in damage to my house. Lesson learned that the trim and center bracing is a key factor in structural support for any tank 75 gallons or larger.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  5. nanomania

Yes i never go braceless on tanks above 25g. What silicone u used?

6. dienerman

7. nanomania

100% silicone?