Should I get a 180g or 210g reef tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by marlinman, Apr 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I'm excited for you. I think you will have your build done now before me:p

Keep up the good work!

2. Click Here!

3. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I've been sick since Friday so I couldn't make the move but I should be getting it done this week. I have 150 gal of salt water just sitting in my new tank. It's driving me crazy!::)

1 person likes this.
  4. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

.30 per gal?

that's 60 bones to fill up 200 gal tank.

5% water change=10gal weekly

adding evaporating water=10gal weekly

every week your looking at spending at least 6 bucks just in water not incl the gas going to big al's. I think my evaporating is at 6-10gal weekly."open top"

Just reading old posts,
    Mike

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

RO water is .35 a gal at Big Al's. I'm looking into a RO/DI system for my house. When I need a water change I'll call Coral Seas Pets and they'll deliver 40 or 50 gallons as I need it. Their good to work with. At 61 I'm not breaking my back over water changes.
    My 120 gal uses a gal+ a day of RO water so I'm figuring 2 gal a day for the 210. My 16 gal auto top off tank will hold about a weeks supply. I will wait a month or two and save for the RO unit.

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Dr Fragenstein here on 3reef has a 180g lit by 6 80 watt non overdriven t5ho bulbs and he has a crazy PAR amount , even on the sand.

Now I am looking at the 180g and the 210, and the 180 with 24" tall is as tall as my 90g I currently have. I am a tall guy at 6'4" and my arms can't easily reach the bottom of the 24' tall 90g. A guy in our club has a 210, and he is short. He has issues getting to the bottom of his tank. Well, until he falls in at least LOL

IMHO, I would get a 180g over a 210g in std sizes. Now if you want more depth than that and a custom tank can be done, a 30" or more deep tank would be killer at 24" tall.

7. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Well, it's done! The 210 is up and running. It only took about 5 hours after careful calculating thought and having a professional come in and move everything properly. But, when it was over Brian "Leonardo Da Vinci" Tuttle as I kiddingly call him had erected a masterpiece! Brian works at Coral Seas Pets in Ft. Lauderdale and is very accomplished with installations. The rock work is awesome. More to come this afternoon when I'm able to take pictures with all the lights.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Cleared up and beautiful!

Wow,::) is all I can say as I look upon this tank and see how much more there is to this hobby. Brian took a long time to get the rockwork the way I invisioned it and with his own great creativity created a masterpiece that will literally blow people way. It gives me all kinds of spots to put future corals. I couldn't be more happier. This tank is bigger than my last one and hard to get details without breaking down the areas so the first three pictures are from left to right. The final picture is the whole tank. There is still more clearing up to go plus I have to put more sand in which will cloud it up again. We'll keep you updated...

Attached Files:

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

very nice looking.

what's that I feel? wind? --- _____ I'm being ---------_____________ blown __________--------- away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek::eek:;D;D

nice dude

11. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Very nice. You are motivating me to keep up on my build. I like the color of your lights also. Way to go!

12. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

New Sohal Tang

I bought a new Sohal Tang and he is gorgeous and a big eater!:eek:

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.