Seachem Reef Builder in ato?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by crustytheclown, Nov 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

Can i use Seachem Reef Builder in my ato to raise alkalinity? I am using a Toms Aqualifter set on a digital timer for my top off. My water evaporation rate is about 2 liters per day. It seems this would be ok as im only raising my alk by 1dkh per day. They ato drips into the tank via airline tubing for 2 minutes every 4 hours. This equation keeps my water where i want it. Any one else dosing this way?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

There could be a problem if your evaporation rates changes. you will then be dosing too much or too little depending on how the evaporation rate changes.

4. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

agreed. its pretty consistant though.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

one thing I have noticed with Seachems reef builder, is that on a pro rata basis in terms of amount of powder used in relation to quantity of water it is dissolved in, it precipitates (falls out of solution) at lower saturation rates, than for example Reef Buffer, by Seachem, or Kent Super buffer DKH for example

in terms of delivery of DKH potential, I get roughly the same amount from a teaspoon dissolved in 300 mils of water
    but with the Reef Builder, if standing to long between doses, more of this precipitates and sits as a powdery build up on the bottom of the container, than I would get with the other 2 products mentioned which in general leave very little precipitate once dissolved irrespective of how long they are left standing.

I only mention this, because that precipitate also builds up in the lines between doses
    which can create delivery problems, if the lines become clogged due to this build up of solids in them

monitor water levels regularly, and clean the pipe work on a frequent basis to prevent the issue