SC Aquariums SC150 cone skimmer review

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by silor, Aug 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I have the 302 I have never heard of the mesh wheel mod. Please fill me in. I had my pump just quit and after taking it apart and putting it back together again all was fine. repeat 3-4 times over a month and I broke the ceramic rod... new pump and all is good.

2. Click Here!

3. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

I've got a SCA-301that i have had running for a couple of weeks.

I cannot for the life of me get the microbubbles from coming out the back. Any ideas?

The skimmer sort of sits on the pump, is it missing a piece?

It is in 8-9" of water.

It pulls out good skimmate. Just can't dial the bubbles down since the water will flow out of the top

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Mine does that as well but I have a baffle in between the skimmer section and return pump section so I get zero microbubbles in the tank.
    You may be able to put a small piece of the filter sponge on the bottom of the outlet - it would have to be a super porous non dense type sponge and you would need to clean it regularly.

5. scaquariums

scaquariums 3reef Sponsor

If you raise the skimmer up one inch, it may solve the problem.

6. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

Thanks, I'll try to raise it first. Will let you know how it turns out!

7. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

A Ivanbosk, In my old sump I had the same problem until it broke in (3-5 days) and still had a few until I got a sump with baffles.

Ok so now my new pump is doing the same thing, is there something that I could be doing wrong while putting it back together? BTW I have the SCA-302

so I contacted SCA and they have very good customer service and will be replacing the pump.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  8. Click Here!

9. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

After talking to Parker @ SCA, I rechecked the pump and found it had an extra rubber piece from the rear of the impeller stuck. After taking it out and reassembling it now works and hopefully all is well again. Great customer service and return/warranty policy.