SC Aquariums SC150 cone skimmer review

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by silor, Aug 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

The only issue I have had is the air injection line would get clogged up with salt in the venturi. Going to try the air pump trick the next time I take it out to rebuild/clean.
    But, this happens to a lot of skimmers.

I am still impressed that this is the most dependable skimmer I have had. I had grown accustomed to skimmers needing constant maintenance and tweaking. Name brands that cost twice as much and you had to watch them like a hawk. I probably don't need to but the only work I have done on this is take it apart every 3~4months to inspect and run everything through with a bottle brush.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My set up has a RO/DI 1/4" line with a JG valve so I can fill containers, etc.

I run RO/DI down the air hose intake on my SC150 every few days/week.

This strips the venturi of built up creep, etc.

So far, so good.

4. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

Incredible thread and product. Looking forward to placing an order soon ;)

5. RareTang

RareTang Plankton

This thread has been extremely helpful! Thank you to everyone that has posted, I am quite convinced on this skimmer myself & will be ordering one too! I have a 55g that I am in the process of setting up but I am almost positive I will upgrade in the future.. so I am thinking the SC-302 (up to 180g), or should I just stick with the SC-303 (up to 150g)? Does anyone have the dimensions for both? Any input is very appreciated :)

6. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

The SC-303 is 10" X 7" X 23" and the SC-302 is 9" X 9.5" X 18." The question is, what size tank are you planning on upgrading to? If it's over 150, go with the SC-302. Over 180 gallons, you might want to look into another brand. Hope this helps.

7. RareTang

RareTang Plankton

Thank you very much!! Yeah that is a good point, I probably won't be going larger than 150g for quite awhile, at least not while in school. Thank you again!
    :cheesy:

8. Click Here!

9. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

My 301 has been running for 6 months, I'm happy with it.

10. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

No problem. Going with the SC-303 myself for my 75 gallon tank. Planning on upgrading too in a few years to a 150 gallon, but will order another SC-303 and keep the 75 gallon for a quarantine/hospital tank.

11. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

Fitment question...

I notice that the SCA-303 model is 23 inches tall. My stand is 28 inches tall (exterior) 25.5 inches interior (basic 75 gallon wood stand). Is 2.5 inch clearance enough when it comes to removing the collection cup? I'm thinking of ordering the SCA-302 since it a bit shorter. Any thoughts?

12. quonnie

quonnie Astrea Snail

Has any one ever done the Mesh Wheel mod for these skimmers? I have had mine for 2 years and love it as it is but I always wonder if it could be better.