Salt level

Discussion in 'Salt' started by TheSurgeonSween, Dec 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

it all depends on which test is showing an issue. If it is nitrite or ammonia, your tank is still not cycled most likely and these are very dangerous. nitrate is common in new tnaks and can be managed most times with water changes, but you might look into a fuge in the future. if you are going to keep corals, you are going to want to monitor your Ca Mg and Kh levels... but you shouldnt even be thinking about this right now. As for now, temp ~79 and salinity ~ 1.025. thats just my opinion... other people will say different and they are not wrong, just have different opinions. good luck man

dont rush your cycle, it WILL be a constly mistake both financially and mentally

hope things go well! :)

2. Click Here!

3. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

Alright. Also do I need two different test kits for reef and fish?

4. TheSurgeonSween

Alright thank you so much!!!

5. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

6. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

You should wait for at least another 4 weeks before adding any fish. You should be testing every couple of days to monitor your amm, nitrite & nitrate levels during this cycle. Once your tests come back at 0 for amm and nitrite and 20ppm or less for nitrate you'll be ready for a 25% water change and your first fish. Once you add your fish (hopefully only one per week) you'll need to test weekly/biweekly to ensure your bacteria levels are keeping up with your bioload. Any increase in these levels means you need to slow down. This hobby will be very rewarding in the long run if you take your time during this early stage of your tank's maturation. While your testing and waiting do a lot of reading there are hundreds of threads on this site with many forums that are specific. Good luck and keep asking questions.;)

1 person likes this.
  7. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

No. Test kits aren't testing dependent upon livestock in the tank, just individual parameters. Get the basic ones for now ie., PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. These will give you an idea of where your tank is at in terms of cycling. Kits for elements like calcium, KH, magnesium,strontium etc. Are really only necessary once you introduce certain types of coral. While were on the topic of test kits I'd also recommend buying Salifert brand if budget allows. One of the best IMO and If you buy cheap ones now you may find yourself upgrading later as you progress,like I did ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. patrick824

until you ge coral, all you need is a hydrometer (pref. refractometer) ammonia kit, nitrite kit, nitrate kit, pH kit, and a temperature reading device.

dont go throw 30 bucks on stuff you dont need quite yet, focus on getting your tank started

1 person likes this.
  10. patrick824

K+

the internet will be your bible

11. TheSurgeonSween

Thank you all for all your help. U guys are the best! I don't think I can get a Salifert brand yet though because I am only seventeen and can't get quite that much money

12. patrick824

i would go API for the basics weve been talking about then invest in Salifert for the kits down the road.

your in good hands here, kid