Salt level

Discussion in 'Salt' started by TheSurgeonSween, Dec 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I was going to post a thoughtful response - but to be honest, I think "miss" Sushi Girls post should be responded to first. There are a number of items currently in question based on other posts.

Thesurgeonsween - please respond to this post above, tell us everything about your system and what you do to maintain it. We more than likely will help you with more than just your specific gravity concerns.

2. Click Here!

3. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

OK well i got a 28g nano cube and I have had it for about a week. Currently I have 30 pounds of live rock in it. But in a couple of days I am getting two clown fish. I have a three stage filter in my tank and I will change the water every two weeks. Today I bought an Instant Ocean Hydrometer. As of now my current gravity is 1.027.

4. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

OK, what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

5. TheSurgeonSween

I dont have a test kit for that stuff. My local fish store said they would test it for free.

6. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

Stop relying on your LFS, they just want your money. What if they test your water with a old test kit, they will say "oh, your water is not ready, this thing will help make it ready" and the cycle keeps going on and on. Most LFS are here for your money, they don't care about you, they only care about the money. This hobby isn't cheap, go buy a test kit and a refractometer.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Salinity-Refrac...644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adc2037fc
    http://www.marinedepot.com/Aquarium...icals_API_MARS_Fishcare-AP3313-FITKMK-vi.html

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  7. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

unfortunately in reefing you have to do it yourself... trusting stores to test for you and tell you what you need is sadly a bad idea in this hobby.

8. Click Here!

9. TheSurgeonSween

Thank you very much. I think I will get that test kit and get that refractometer in a few weeks. And if my tests come up bad do I just do a water change or do I add chemicals?

Thank you for all your help

10. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

you just.......... WAIT

no water changes, no chemicals. the cycle needs to run its course uninhibited. I am even a fan of no lights...

11. TheSurgeonSween

I mean after the tank is done cycling and I have fish in it.

12. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Follow the advise given and please don't add anything live, other than rock that can cure in your new tank, for a few weeks-not days.

Also don't add any chemical that you cannot test for. Just about all saltwater organisms need is in the salt mix.