Running a skimmer only at night??

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by PghSteeler, Feb 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

There is an interesting article from Unique Corals posted on here in which they recommend part time skimming, or at least a reduction in skimming. Their theory is that by stripping most nutrients from the system it leaves little for the corals to use, therefore increasing the need for feeding. They advocate stable parameters over hyper clean water. Their statements seem to make sense to me, although i certainly do not have enough experience to state if this is a good idea for your tank or not. I think a lot would depend upon the size of your skimmer, size of your tank and the type and amount of livestock in it. If you were going on this theory, it would seem to me that using an undersize skimmer running 24/7 would lend itself to more stability in a closed system than turning a larger skimmer on and off. The other thing to think about is if you are satisfied with your current system. I personally do not like to mess with success if things are working, however if there is an area for improvement i would consider all the options and go with the one which would have the least effect on the stability of the system. Just my 2c. Don't know if this helps or if it is the rambling of a relative noob.

2. Click Here!

3. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I agree with the skimmer stripping nutrients too much or coral. My way I combat this is I like to recycle nutrients in my tank so I don't add more than needed. What I do is every few days I grab the turkey baster and stir up detritus in my sump to get returned into the display to feed the coral. After doing that regiment, my coral started really showing polyp extension. Wish I was at home to give a before and after pic to show.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I keep it off for 2-4 hours after feeding. Remember, some phostphates is actually good for coral, as the algae in the coral needs phosphates too. .3-.5 PO4 works best.

As vinny said, each tank is different, if you have issues with PO4 and nitrates, i'd run it all day. if not, it wouldn't hurt to turn it off (maybe during feeding). Up to you.