Running a skimmer only at night??

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by PghSteeler, Feb 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

So l know many people run their skimmers on a timer and was thinking of doing the same.

What kind of schedule do you guys run them on??
    Also any of you do this with a HOB filter or only in-sump models??
    I have a large HOB reef octopus and am afraid turning it off for 10 hours or so will cause a nasty cycle within the skimmer aince the wayer would just sit in there. I do not run any filtration in the extra compartment, no floss carbon etc just water a pump and a backup thermometer.

I was thinking of running it only at night and keeping it off during the day. This would provide better oxygenation at night when photosynthesis is not taking place as well as reduce any noise and micro bubble during viewing hours. After I feed the thing goes nuts with the bubbles for an hour or so!!

That brings me to my last thought. I read an article I believe on advanced aquarist about feeding corals at night. They studied based on water oxygenation levels and food availably and measured coral skeletal growth. Turns out feeding corals at night lead to decreased growth rates and in some coral skeletal mass loss with the hypothesis being the corals have to expend so much energy at night to eat that they don't make up for it from their photosynthesis. Study was not conducted long enough to show long term conclusions but makes me think running the skimmer at night limiting the food Intake is a better idea than running it during the day when I feed rods and reef chili.

2. Click Here!

3. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

Do you run a refugium at night?

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Wow,

I haven't heard alot, but I've never met or talked to, or seen anyone that puts their skimmer on a timer. I'm sure it's done though, I believe you.

I also don't use any special foods for my corals- no chili, rods, etc. Just light, and whats in the water column.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I run my skimmer all day and night except for it turns off and stays off for one hour during feeding. Curious to see what more experienced reefers are doing though.

6. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

Along with many other guys/gals on here, I would recommend it just stay running non-stop. Some people shut it off while feeding, like marshall above states, but that should be the only time the thing should be off. I'm a firm believer in oversized skimmers for the size tank and I'd rather overskim than underskim.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I use to run mine only at night for the 1st 2-3 months after I got it because of the micro bubbles trying to break it in.

Now I have it running 24 hours a day and turn it off when I put meds or something in that nature and have it off for 24 hours but back on again to do its job.

10. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Im new to this but I leave my on all the time. Thats the point right? If you want it pulling all the bad stuff out it has to run

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Glad I saw this thread. I've been contemplating leaving mine off half the time. Has anybody tried it? If like to hear from someone who runs only part time. Upside and downside?

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It's all about atmosphere and o2 exchange.If your tank is exchanging gasses without the help of the skimmer then running one all the time may or may not be needed. I would leave it on. I don't like to touch my skimmer pump to begin with because restart issues can be a real pita.
    Are you trying to save on electric you cheapskate???;D
    Everyone's house,atmospheric conditions,tank,inhabitants,equipment are different. Someone could rave about how well there tank is doing because of something they are doing when its very possible its thriving because of something he /she is not doing.;)
    Access to a laboratory to test some of these theories is really the only way to truly understand as we all know we don't know a lot!!:(

I do know this.I have run skimmers 24/7 with no apparent ill effects.;D

What are you adding to your tank that makes your skimmer go banana's??
    Hmm did someone say banana????
    [​IMG]
    Sorry Matt.I can't help myself.