RODI resin replacement.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by DevinH, Nov 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I replaced everything but the MEMBRANE, how long should I allow it to run, it is a 90 GPD SpectraPure 3 stage unit.

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

First, disconnect the line leading from the carbon block up to the RO membrane at the membrane end and stick the line in a sink or bucket. Remove the sediment and carbon block filters then place 2 teaspoons of regular unscented bleach in the sediment canister and reinstall the two empty canister housings. Slowly open the tap wate rsupply and allow the housings to fill until water starts to escape the disconnected line then shut it off and let it sit with chlorine inside for 5 minutes.
    Now, open the tap water up again and flush the housings until all evidence of chlorine odor is gone and install ONLY the sediment filter leaving the carbon housing empty and flush for a couple minutes to rinse away any glues or binders from the sediment filter. Next install the carbon block and again flush for a couple minutes to rinse away any carbon dust or fines from the manufacturing process.
    Now, reinstall the line between the carbon and the RO membrane, since you did not replace the membrane no flushing is needed here but if it were a new membrane you would leave the DI out and make 3-5 gallons of RO only monitoring the TDS until it drops to the 98% rejection rate range. Install your DI cartridge or resin and sned the first bit of water to teh drain until the TDS is 0.

If you bought bulk resin make sure you packed the cartridge properly so it is completely full as resin actually shrinks slightly with use and you do not want and voids or cavities to short circuit and allow the resin to stratify. Hopefully you bought Spectrapure replacements as the quality is not the same with most others.

4. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Thanks, and yes I bought spectrapure. Only the best for my fishies. Haha