rio nano skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by chelseagrin, Feb 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

hey guys, just purchased one of these for my 6.6 gallon nano. so far all thats in the nano is a single clownfish and a pathetic little CUC haha.
    the skimmer was not much ($27 at lfs) but i can tell right off the bat its rather cheap. and i see that the reviews for this are fairly poor. 3-4 stars. my question is, will these be sufficient for now to skim my tank or would i be better off dumping it for a better one? i have the funds available to but i would really rather now, i really want to try to make the best of this one. any thoughts? experiences? tips?

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I can speak for the Eshopps nano skimmer I have on an 8 gallon. It works good once you figure out where to set the water depth. Cost $120 at LFS, probably less online. So far no problems and cleaned up the water fast.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Cheap is the word. As you've probably heard, you get what you pay for.

I wasted $30 on one, myself. Was a PITA to keep adjusted, kept losing prime, and finally fried at 3 months old. Hope you have better luck, but I'd definitely recommend you keep looking for a replacement. There are far better models from more reputable manufacturers. :)