Review of the MF-121 Warner Marine skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Vinnyboombatz, Jun 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well I really wasn't looking to upgrade my skimmer but when I saw this deal I couldn't pass it up. $190.00 shipped. The skimmer arrived very well packaged and shipping was very fast.(California-Florida Sorry Jon.lol) Jon has this skimmer rated for tanks up to 120 gallons and the dimensions are 6.5x7x21" tall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The instructions that came with the unit were of no help but the assembly was straight forward and easy.

[​IMG]

Just removed the four thumbscrews from the skimmer body. Remove the thumb screw from the bubble plate. Push pump up from below skimmer and attach the threaded washer.(Pump inlet should be facing hole in top of skimmer were air valve mounts).Reattach the bubble plate and skimmer body. Add Venturi to the pump, add airline to venturi,then attach air chamber/valve to top skimmer plate and finally attach airline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This skimmer is very well made and the materials used are top notch. Also love the Italian made Eden pump.(NO startup issues!!!!!);D
    There is a slight clicking noise when you first start it but after that it is virtually silent. The skimmer was VERY touchy at first and it took a couple days to get it set just right(normal for new skimmers). I left the air adjustment alone(fully open) and just adjusted the gate valve which is great. I did notice a slight problem with the gate itself though. When fully opened the gate will come out of the guide that keeps it straight and I couldn't close it after fully opening it. Once I realised what the problem was it was a simple matter of just wiggling it a little and it went right back into place( a non issue once its set). The foam created by this skimmer is amazing. It far exceeds what my ASM skimmer could accomplish and the Eden pump only uses 12 watts!!!! I currently have mine in 9 inches of water.(Jon recommends 8-9 inches)
    Heres some shots of it in action.

[​IMG]

More bubbles then the Lawrence Welk show!!LOL

[​IMG]

Skimmate production after a day and a half run time.:)

[​IMG]

I am very happy with this skimmer! I would like to thank Matt for making me buy it!!;D Also a special thanks to Jon at Warner Marine. The whole experience was just great and he patiently answered all my dumb questions.8) I will periodically update this thread to let everyone know how it works long term.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

thats some pretty nice skimmate after a day and a half, very nice skimmer, what did you upgrade from?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Excellent review Vinny. Love the details. As you know I am seriously considering that skimmer as I need one with a smaller footprint that my NAC6. So much to like about this for the price. Did you share the gatevalve issue with Jon?

5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Nice pooper scooper Vinny and great review,to think I have almost that much in my remora and only works half that good,lol.

6. Vinnyboombatz

I upgraded from an ASM G1X

Thanks Matt.For its size it is a beast!! I have not shared it with Jon but will PM him about it. I think the issue is there is enough thread to completely lift the gate up out of the track which is past the full open setting.(it was hard to tell as it was already in the sump) It really is not a problem now that I know about it and I will not need to open it that far again anyway. Just thought I would give others a heads up in case they run into the problem.

Thanks Bro. Definitely a steal at this price.;)

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What is the diameter of the skimmer tube Vinny? 6" ?

8. Click Here!

9. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

Matt just buy one already!! These skimmers rock! Mo joke, Jon make an incredible product. Realized lately, after looking through other sump/skimmer thread, that I am completely spoiled with this skimmer being my first one. ( I have the 161) but, great skimmer with a super small footprint(thanks to the international pump), good price, and looks cool.lol

10. Vinnyboombatz

Yes Matt. Overall its about 6 1/2 with the skimmer body. Footprint is 6.5x7x21 inches.

Jlobes is buying you one how cool.J/K +1;D8)

1 person likes this.
  11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

That's some really impressive performance for only 1 day!

Nice review! :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Excellent review.

And no kidding on the production of skim mate. I am really kind of shocked.

Will be interesting to see any difference in algae growth and coral reaction.

On the frag tank right?

1 person likes this.