rescued a tang. need some pointers.

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by mikekx65, May 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Well over the weekend I rescued a baby blue tang. I'm not going to say where because that's not important to me. But anyways the tang was in a 20 gallon tank and of course had ich. I got the tang home and into my q/t tank and immediately started a copper treatment. It's been 3 days and she's looking alot better but still has white spots on her. I wish I had a pic of how bad she was before I got her home I felt so bad and was very angry at who had the fish before me. Now please don't give me **** and tell me my 75g is too small yes I know I know but unless I find someone reputable to take this fish from me after q/t she will be going in my tank. I'd much rather see her healthy in my 75g that is a tad too small than see her covered in ich in a 20g about to die. I have a few questions. Thus fish is tiny maybe 1.5" what would the best diet for her be? I been putting frozen brine and red/green seaweed in there for her is that good or should I be feeding something else. Also do any of you have any tips in general for nursing a very sick fish back to good health?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Try some Selcon.

Rod's foods the original brand. Rod's contains a lot of veggies, seafood and marine algae.

Do not worry about any negativity, you made the right choice.

4. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Sound like you are on the right track.It would be good to soak the food in garlic and selcon.Garlic is supposed to increase appetite and the selcon provides fatty acids.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

+1 on the selcon. I would run the copper for a couple weeks and then hit him with some prazipro.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Provide small meaty food along with the seaweed. Blues are plankton eaters. FWIW I kept a Blue in my 75 with no issues. I saw it recently at the place where I sold my tank to and it has doubled in size and looks quite healthy.

7. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Alright I'll have to pick up some selcon soon then. I got some original rods buried in my freezer I'll have to dig it out. Any other tips you guys have? How many times should I be feeding a day?

8. Click Here!

9. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

What sort of plankton? Frozen? Freeze dried?

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

As long as you feed a mix of meaty and seaweed/veggie foods then you'll be good. Selcon is a very good idea, I swear by that stuff. I feed my tangs multiple times a day.

11. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

My dads blue goes NUTS for frozen cyclopeeze. A little of it goes a LONG way.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Frozen or freeze dried soaked in selcon.