Reefbreeders LED Question

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by andywyeth07, Feb 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

I am starting a 110G mixed reef tank. The dimensions are 48x18x30.

I've been told a 32" 200w fixture with 90 degree optics will work but i'm concerned with the edges being darker as well as the bottom since the tank is 30" deep.

I plan on just starting out with softies however down the road I want to add LPS and SPS.

What do you all think about the 32" fixture for my tank or should I get (2) 24" fixtures.

I would love to only buy one fixture but if i'm going to have to upgrade down the road I would rather just bite the bullet now and have lighting the will suit my needs in the future.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Moved to Reef Breeders forum

4. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I would get 2 16in fixtures.

5. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Beat me to it :). 2 16" units with 90 degree optics would suit you much better than one 32" unit, mostly due to your tanks depth. You should not have trouble keeping sps.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I can attest to this, I have a 16" over half of the same sized tank and its PLENTY. I have another system over the other half, but 2 of the 16" would be perfect

7. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

Alright, so it sounds like (2) 16" units will be the way to go. Another factor that I have a question about. I don't have the option of hanging these fixtures from the ceiling, they will have to be under my canopy. I plan on getting some 1" x 1" painted steel and spanning the tank and setting these units on that. So the units will only be a few inches off the tope of the water. Is this okay and do I still go with the 90 degree optics?

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

they come with a hanging kit that you can use in your canopy;) I wouldn't use the steel method at all, gonna be a PITA when you're getting in and out of your tank.

and def the 90, IMO

10. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

http://www.3reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144022
    This thread shows 2 16" fixtures hanging in my canopy. I agree that having them rest on something close to the water would be a PITA. That's a recipe for a fryed tank and a ruined fixture. All it takes is one fish startling u while feeding for the fixture to be toast.

11. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

I like the way you mounted those. Looks very sturdy. Ill have to wait until my canopy gets back from being made. I can't remember what the top part looked like, if it had molding on the top or if it was just flat. I guess if its just flat, I could add moldings to hide the supports angles.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

DANG, that is a amazing mounting job.

but I think you'll be surprised how light these lights are, its not as hard as you think it will be;)