Reef tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by cira030, Oct 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You did not answer any of my first questions and until I know these levels I would not offer any advice about what you should add .But until you know the main water parameters of the tanks levels then I'd not add any thing you have to know the Ca. Dkh and Mag . Levels then t know the NO3 and PO4 is also a must You did not .

No matter what species that anemone is its so faded it is hard to tell really and the fact you have it under 4 26W P/C is almost a certain death warrant and if you have tried to keep any previous anemones then they soon met their demise I'm sure .. The tank at 9 month is a tad young for an anemone and You really need to test the water levels..

Forget about iodine is not needed at all and anyone who would just add it and not test the levels then thats a major mistake like adding Ca and Buffer and Magnesium with out knowing the levels.. There are certain rules that have to be followed and applied and I think you jumped over more then one or 2 of them. Test the water parameters and post them and I'm sure many here can and will help you .. And watch out for the anemone its looking rather pale..
    As I said I can see by the looks of the rocks that either one of the other or both the Ca and Dkh are low and Magnesium is important in these levels. Post the results and I'll tell you what I'd add as for the coral Buff I have never heard of it and not sure what it is do you have the name of the manufacture and what the labels says its for and any directions of usage and dosing ?.

2. Click Here!

3. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

ok heres the story. i dont want to spend like 50 dollars on a test kit you know. im just going to take it up to petco and they'lle test it. i have a basic test kit containing the main 5 most important and all of those levels are perfect according to the directions and from the pet store.
    NO3: 0
    NO2: 0
    pH: 8.1-8.4
    alk: 120-180 (in the middle)
    TH (hardness): O YA THATS THE ONE THING I HAVE TO LOWER!! its at the hardest (300). i was told to add treated freshwater but wont that mess up all of my other levels? i didnt want to mess with it. get back to me. thanks

o ya and for the coral buff:

Front: CORAL BUFF
    maintains a high buffer
    capacity & stable pH in
    reef aquariums.

Red Sea

Side/back:
    The pH of natural seawater remains stable due to its nearly inexhaustible stock of dissolved alkaline buffer substances such as bicarbonate, carbonate and borate. In a reef aquarium, buffering substances are constantly consumed as part of the calcification process by corals, calcareous algae and other invertebrates and should be replenished on regular basis. A low alkalinity may allow a sudden fail in pH which would be very dangerous to all organisms in the aquarium.

For best result reef aquariums should have a alkalinity of 2.5-4 meq/L and a stable pH of 8.2-8.4. Check the alkalinity of your aquarium weekly with Red Sea's Alkalinity Test Lab.

Directions: Shake well.

Dosage:
    Accurate dosing method:Measure your alkalinity level and calculate the required increase. To raise the alkalinity by 0.2 meq/L add 1 tsp (5ml) for each 120 litres (31.5 gal) of aquarium water.

Easy dosing method: To maintain a stable level of alkalinity in moderately stocked reef tank, add 3 tsp for each 31.5 gal of aquarium water per week.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  4. PumaKrieg

PumaKrieg Flamingo Tongue

You should be more then willing to spend $50 for a test kit if you are in this hobby, otherwise you shouldn't be in it.....

Go get a test kit, so you can have it handy during all times in case of something goes wrong like now.

5. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Does not sound like you are to committed to this hobby if you won't spend some money on test kits. Sorry to say this is a very expensive hobby. Good Luck.

6. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

no its not that its that i just spent just about all of my money on stuff. and like i dont want to waste my money on something that will run out soon you know. like im only 14. if i had the money i would be more than happy. im saving up though. like i literally had to spend at least 600/700 on just a 10 gallon. ill work on that money im selling my ipod and that will give me 200 dollars worth of coral and test kit :) its not that i am not deticated please dont say that i work on my tank like 3 hours a day. just please dont say im not dedicated.

7. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

600 to 700 hundred on a 10 gallon?

8. Click Here!

9. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

10. PumaKrieg

PumaKrieg Flamingo Tongue

I suggest reading up then, because maybe you are dedicated but you are not extremely educated. If you did that you could have avoided mistakes such as adding too many fish too fast, and its possible you wouldn't be in some of the current situations you are in.

I wish you the best of luck, and you could get your results from petco this time, but i suggest getting the test kits and the additives necessary to monitor and then fix these problems.

good luck.

11. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

i added all those fish 9 months ago when i was EXTREMRELY ignorant. haha i know a lot trust me i have done my fair share of research. thanks a lot for the good lucks

12. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

jsut another update

this is my aquarium with my new rock settings. notice how much it changes. haha i do a lot to it. but this is looking pretty good so i might keep it. give me you compliments please. tell me what you think!!!

the rock really isnt that green and ugly i dont know why it looks like that. but the rock really looks like how it looks in the first pic with the anemone. these pics make my tank look bad. damn. o well

Attached Files: