Reef Octo LX1000s HOB Arrival and It's BIG

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by crank2211, Jan 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

DC,

I'm still very happy with the skimmer. It's hasn't let me down yet. I started dosing MB7 and carbon, and as I understand it, you really need a skimmer up to the task of pulling out all the crap that is a byproduct of this kind of regimen. In this regard I'm very pleased. I've reaped all the benefits of this kind of bacteria driven system with none of the downfalls.

It is very quiet still and performs great.

As for cons, there are two notable ones that come to mind (Not including the bright red color ::))

- During my first cleaning of the skimmer, out of curiosity I attempted to see if I can remove the pump for maintenance or additional cleaning. I failed pretty miserably at that task. I spent a couple hours fighting with it trying to get the pump out of the small chamber with my not so small hands. I feared that even if I did, I wouldn't be able to get it back in without cracking the acrylic. Defeated, I'm now convinced the pump is in there for good so you really need to hope it doesn't fail.

- Additionally, after 5 or 6 weeks of running continuously, the whole thing needs to be pulled off the tank and cleaned with vinegar. For whatever reason the pump begins to act sluggishly and I notice a decrease in performance. I fill up a large rubber tub with hot water and vinegar and run the skimmer for an hour. Immediately after rinsing and putting it back in the tank I see a big boost in performance. This reminds me I'm actually due up to give it another cleaning this weekend, and when I do I think I'm going to pull the acrylic and just paint it black with some left over Krylon paint. I originally skinned it in case I had problems with it and needed to return it, or didn't like it and wanted to sell. Neither of these scenarios is the case and I'm looking forward to it disappearing into the black background of my back wall.

I would still highly recommend it, yes.

2. Click Here!

3. DC_40gallon

DC_40gallon Plankton

Thank you very much! I have an opportunity to get a lx1000s for a wholesale price around $200 and I'm now jumping on I with your latest update. I originally wanted the xp1000s but read 2 reviews of owners that said try had issues with the bubble plate and because of the elonged cone the bubble blaster 1000 just didn't seem to be enough to give it a good thick head of bubbles.

So I've narrowed it to the lx1000s. I agree with your synopsis that I don't like the internal pump either for taking it out :( that's why I liked the xp1000s and lx2000s. I also agree that upon arrival it's getting a bath of krylon fusion! Apparently coralvue told me that in august black models will be arriving and you won't find red models anymore. Thus my ability to get an lx1000s dirt cheap.

What I love the most is, and correct me if I'm wrong, the front has the space and convenient locations for a bag of carbon or phosban/phosguard/rowaphos, etc.

This alone will rid my phosban reactor, tubing and pump for the reactor!