Reef Octo LX1000s HOB Arrival and It's BIG

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by crank2211, Jan 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Just received my new Reef Octopus LX1000s HOB skimmer.. I thought I had a good idea what to expect based off the few teaser photos online. I was surprised when I opened it.. It's MASSIVE and it is RED.. I'm still a bit in shock and not sure what to really think yet..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll be documenting as I go along..

I'll bust out a tape measure and take some pictures to give a sense of scale.. These pics really don't do the size of thing justice yet..

At this point, the word "Overkill" is going through my mind, at least for my 55...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

looks good. i have to ask, didnt you know it was RED? looks as advertised to me.

looking forward to see this up and running

4. frkid247

frkid247 Sea Dragon

that should be neat!

5. crank2211

Yes, I definitely knew it was red.. I'm more surprised about the size. Much bigger than I had originally thought. I didn't quite expect the in-tank chamber to be so large either. It's in tank presence will dwarf the MJ1200 in my tank now running the Remora. I kind of just thought it will have a single intake tube running into the tank and possibly a small flat "lip" hanging over the back edge for the return water. Very similar to the Remora, but honestly I had no idea what to expect. There's very little documentation on it now.

The upside is the in-tank chamber acts as an adjustable surface skimmer box. A nice surprise.. I'll show that in a few when I take some pictures.

6. crank2211

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  7. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Thats cool...love to see it running. : )

what did ya pay for it?

8. Click Here!

9. crank2211

I got it for $229 with free shipping from PremiumAquatics.. Though it looks like they raised the price significantly since then. Presumably because of demand.

10. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Now thats got some beef to it.... nice HOB

11. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

Can't wait to see how it works. I love my CPR Bak Pak. What I don't like is all the hang on stuff I have now. Skimmer, fuge, and overflow. Yeah, overflow because I also have a sump thats used for my auto top off. I would have never done the HOB fuge if I would have known how much water would be evaporating and wanting to get an ATO. Oh well, I am really loving this hobby and I think i'll have a 6 foot tank (not sure gallon size) before my 46bow is a year old. I had the tank already so thats why I set it up. Never dreamed of outgrowing this fast.

12. crank2211