Reef Breeders LED Questions

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Zechenia, Sep 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have been PM'ing off and on about various questions relating to these lights, and figured I would post here so anyone else with similar questions can see the answers :)

First of all, I have a 90 gallon tank I am in the process of building, and have decided that I am going the LED route, and plan on buying from Reef Breeders (the value + not having to put it together myself... everything on my build is taking forever and I don't want to worry about the time to put something together AFTER the time it's going to take to get enough money for everything in my build).

I have already found out that I can special order the correct driver for Reef Angel dimming (who knows, maybe by the time my build is far enough, they'll carry these drivers ;D). However, I have two more questions. I am comparing the 120 watt value fixtures to each other. Is the cree worth the extra $100 per fixture (planning 2 on my 90)?

Also, with the depth of the 90, what optics would be ideal? My canopy is somewhere around a foot and a half to two feet tall I believe (can measure for sure tonight...).

Edit: Also, I am sticking with mostly LPS and softies. But I don't want to limit myself, and also would like to keep clams.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I would go with bridgelux, cree fixtures with XP-Es are not too much more efficient than the bridgelux fixtures, which also have 660nm reds, and 420nm violets, which cree does not. I would go with 120degree optics, and hang them 8-10" above the water. You could keep sps anywhere you wanted with 2 fixtures.

4. Zechenia

Is the 120 degree optics the standard (I don't see it listed on your site as an option)?

5. Reef Breeders

Yes, they all come with 120s, the tighter optics are an upgrade.

6. Zechenia

Ok, perfect.

Just gotta get my rock in the next month or so... and then LEDs are next on my list!

7. Zechenia

Thought of another question.

Does this unit come with moonlights, or at least, can the blue lights go low enough to function as moonlights?

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

No moonlights, and you would have to do the dimming your self, manually. The new controllable one has moonlights.

10. Zechenia

Correct, I would do the dimming on my controller. I am just wondering if it's possible to get them "dim enough" to be moonlights, or if they don't go that low

Note: I have no experience with LEDs so I have no idea their range ;D

11. Reef Breeders

You might as well get the controllable one, it is $100 extra either way. And the meanwells only dim to 10% power

12. Zechenia

Ok thanks for the info. It's something I've been debating, but I'm assuming if I go that route, I can't use my reef angel for controlling them.