Reef Breeders LED light questions

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by SaltyClown, Jan 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

My wife and I are looking at possibly getting 2 of these reefbreeders for our 75 gallon reef. Our questions are...

Can we put this light on a plug in timer so that we don't have to manually turn it on everyday?

And, it appears to have an acrylic panel over the LED's. Is this true?

Also, what does it mean by degrees of optics?

We are looking at having our tank be a mixed reef, with softy and LPS dominant with a few SPS. So what degree of optics would be suitable for our tank?

Thank you

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Yes, you can put the plug on a timer, that is what most users do. There is a glass splash shield. Degree of optics is spread/depth penetration. The smaller the degree, the less spread, and more depth penetration you get. I would stick with the default 120s, unless you are concerned with light spill, in which case 90s would work better.

4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

I have 2 of the 120w fixtures over my 75, both fixtures have 90* optics on them. They are great. And will keep any corals. I have sps in my tank and keep the blues at about 50% power and whites/colors at about 30%.
    Both are on timers and work great.

And with 120* optics you WILL have light spill, ALOT of spill. The 90* optics are perfect and i would highly recommend them.

5. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Awesome!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  6. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

what is light spill? Is that light that "spills" out of the tank sides and not onto the coral?

7. Airstreamin

Airstreamin Astrea Snail

Bingo. You want to concentrate the light on the tank not the carpet.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

+whatever, lights are great, love mine

10. tonythereefer

tonythereefer Fire Shrimp

There already is a controllable fixture, 3 of them in fact a 16", 24" and 32" they are a little more pricey but if you have the money I'd get those

Here is the link to the controllable fixtures http://reefbreeders.com/controllable_led_fixtures.html

11. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Thank you, we just went back and looked at them. Since we'd need 2 of the 16" non controllables. That would be almost, if not $400. So we're thinking maybe the 32" controllable for $450.

12. tonythereefer

tonythereefer Fire Shrimp

Thats what I have over my 75 I love the sunrise/sunset program, fair warning though the sides will not get as much light as the center still a great light though my corals seem to love it :)