Redbugs

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kimberlee, Nov 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kimberlee

kimberlee Flamingo Tongue

Okay so I'm at the point where I'm waiting for the interceptor to get here in the mail. Some 1 told me to fresh water dip the sps affected by them? I've dipped sps like that before w/ good results so I know it can help is some cases. What do you guys think. The med wont get here till Tues. and I've never had redbugs before so I'm unsure of what I can do to help the coral in the mean time.

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Just wait for the interceptor to arrive. Your corals will survive the short wait. A freshwater dip will just stress them.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Wait for the medication. A FW bath or dip will be more stress than the RB as posted above.
    It's an easy treatment and a whole lot less stressful than a FW dip. Personally I do not dip SPS in FW.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Sps plus freshwater means bleaching at the very least and death in some cases.
    The RB won't kill anything in less than a week... I know people who "live with" redbugs because they are trying to prove a point that the bugs aren't that bad. Sure their stuff still lives and grows, but it just looks terrible.

6. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

7. chelltom

chelltom Skunk Shrimp

I wonder if a 6 line or mandarin goby would eat the red bugs

8. Click Here!

9. kimberlee

kimberlee Flamingo Tongue

Thx, that is 1 I don't have and a good read. It does bring up another question though. I have a total of 4 small acros in my 40 B, Should I treat the system or just the 4 acros?

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Treat the system, there is a good chance you will loose hermits, crabs and shrimp, but the treatment is much more effective, other wise in just a couple months you will be able find RB again. If after treatment you do aggressive water changes, run some fresh carbon and do a lower dosage, the arthropods stand a better chance, but again you may have to re-treat.