Red Sea Max

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Ryan Duchatel, Jul 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Hey all,

Well the time has come..... I am moving out of home..... 4 streets down and 4 minutes away :p.

But legit, im leaving home, which means I am also leaving my fish tank. My current 55g is going to stay at home, and I am going to come over on weekends to do some maintenance etc.

I am moving into my girlfriends place which is a rental, so I don't really want to move my 55g or set up a 225 or something big until we have a place of our own that we own and are paying the morgage off.

So in the mean time, there is no way I am living in a house with no reef tank. I was thinking of getting something small and do a LPS tank mainly with a few SPS.

I really like these new Red Sea Max tanks, specifically the 130d. Red sea MAX 130D

I like the fact that everything is there ready to go. But however, come the cons, like no sump etc? Has anyone had one of these tanks before? Do they go alright? or a waste of time?

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Ryan, the tank looks awesome to me! I think there are many nano owners on 3reef. Congrats on making the big "move in" decision with the GF!

5. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Thanks! I am sure a nano reef tank will keep me sane! Then when we get a proper place I can get a Red Sea Max 650 or something huge :).

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

The max 650 is what I have reserved. I too am waiting for my house. I don't think you can go wrong with anything by red sea. My reef tank is sumpless and I never have problems. Congrats ryan.

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I have had a 130D since 2008.. not a bad tank, overall very happy. Somewhere along the line I had posted pros and cons but man been a long time so would take a while to look for it.

For a beginner this is a perfect all in 1 tank but fully expect to upgrade the skimmer, and lights in the long run.

At this point I have removed top cover and replaced with Current USA 1083, 20" Nova Extreme Pro 6x18watt, T5HO and have a Eshopps 75h skimmer. Light system will be again upgraded to led at some point.

Nothing against Red Sea but for the money($900.00 new) I would say a person with your experience is much better off going and buying a 30 gal tank someone is selling, get yourself the skimmer you want and a great lighting system(got my wife a kessil a350W for her 30 gal and it is great) and then decide if you going to do a simple canister or sump. By purchasing all the components individually you are going to get exactly what you want for the same or much less than the 130D. Again overall 130D is a great product and still have mine running after 5 years and still looks great but would never buy it again as I have the experience to know that I need to buy the parts I want and piece it together so I am not upgrading this and that.

8. Click Here!

9. StevieT

StevieT 3reef Sponsor

I had my RSM 130 set up for 5.5 years.

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Look into Picoaquariums, they make some BA nanos (Used to make more picos, hence the name, I think) But I don't know about international shipping....

11. Ssteve

Ssteve Plankton

Congrats on the move, and good luck on the new tank