Recommendations for a 150 tall reef tank

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Recliner, Jan 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

I'm looking to move away from my MH system. What would you recommend? I have corals at all levels all the way to the bottom. Sps, lps, mushrooms, anemone, leathers...lots of stuff but no zoas.
    I already have an adjustable tautronics (just 1) laying around that was on a different tank that I would like to mix in. I've read it probably isn't able to reach all the way to the bottom though.

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

You would do well with 2 value fixtures, with 90 degree optics. If you have sps on the bottom, 60 degree optics would be a better fit.

4. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for answering here and the email I sent you. Ill ask here so you can ignore the email I just sent.
    I have sps on the bottom so 2 of these in the 60 degree option?
    reefbreeders

Any need or benefit from also using the tautronics unit I already have or will the 2 60 degree units from you handle everything?

5. Reef Breeders

Yes, with sps on the bottom, the 2 units with 60 degree optics would be ideal. No, you would not need the taotronics unit. How high can you mount your lights?

6. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

It's built into a wall with plenty of access in a closet above the tank. Ideally I'd like to hang them from the ceiling and could have them at any height I wanted. Would 10" maximize my coverage or should they be closer?

7. Reef Breeders

10" would be plenty.

8. Click Here!

9. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

Thank you, my birthday present shopping was made easy for my wife this year.