Rebuild/Ich recovery

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Michaelr5, Aug 24, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Well it has been 5 weeks now since I put all my fish in hospital. No more losses and no more ich ;D

Now it's time to rebuild. My first project was a spray bar for sump return. I wanted a corner feed, but when I built it, the loose end sank to the bottom as weighted object will :p I thought about using fishing line, but then had an idea. I drilled a hole in the endcap just a little smaller than the mounting button for a suction cup. Pressed the suction cup into the hole and then to the glass. Voila! ;D (see pictures below).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hey, that works! ;D Drill more holes...IMHO :) What size pump will you be using?

4. hexus0

hexus0 Astrea Snail

what does a spray bar do exactly?

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

It gets some flow behind the rockwork and (in my case) across the sandbed. I have mine teed off in the center, and did not glue these 2 side pieces so I can adjust the flow up or down more as needed :)

6. Michaelr5

Thanks BL

I probably will drill more holes. Actually this one was a test made with 1/2" pipe I had laying around (Cost about $1.12 to get the elbows) and the holes I have match the area of the pipe diameter. And the pump I have is only about 110 GPH. I have a via-Aqua 2600 (720GPH) pump on order so will probably make the next one out of 3/4" I figure even with about 3' head, I will still need to throttle back to accomodate my 600GPH overflow. :)

7. boostenmkiv

boostenmkiv Flamingo Tongue

I've been really interested in "spray bars" when I first saw something mentioned about them, but haven't found a whole lot about them yet.. Do these create bubbles like a bubble wall would?

8. Click Here!

9. hexus0

hexus0 Astrea Snail

i c, thanks bl

10. Michaelr5

No, boost, no air bubbles. You are pumping water from your sump to the spray bar. The idea is to ciruculate water evenly across the entire length of the tank. I my case having the bar about 3" above the sand and from back to front creates an even current through my live rock. Essential for when I start getting corals in the tank.

Mike

11. TomZoo

TomZoo Plankton

I know that this thread has been dead for a long time now but i was browseing and stumbled opon this.....did this spray bar work out....any opinions on this ideal???? I am really interested in this and may use it, seems like a great ideal to me!!!!

12. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

I was to lazy to make a spray bar so I bought one by eheim. I have the holes on each bar aiming in different directions.