Ready to throw in the towel---mad and discouraged

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Lady J, Oct 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

So a few days ago I'm thrilled with my new red lotus.

Today watching the betta--I ask my son, "Does the betta's tail look a little ragged to you"? He's a half moon and it didn't look like this before. My son says yes, it does. Great, I assume he's got fin rot, need to get meds. And oh yeah, doing good water changes to ensure he's in clean water.

Depleting beneficial bacteria in the 30g. for TOO good of maintenance after doing what others told me to do: big water changes.

I'm angry and discouraged.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Hang in there and find out what works best for each of your tanks. Once you find it don't deviate unless there is an issue.

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I guess this is the problem John, I thought I was being very conscientious. I have NO idea what I'm doing wrong. Need help here.

Ok, here's what I'm doing:

3g. 30-40% wc. 2 x week Temp and ph match. No ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates. Also suctioning up ANY excess food with a turkey baster if he doesn't eat it within 5 minutes.

Tank is clear, betta is eating well, swimming well, resting well etc.

30g. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, seriously, I don't. How much water should I be changing? Should I be rinsing the filter pad? How did I destroy so much bacteria??? Maybe I am not understanding how this ridiculously cheap filtration system works. As I posted in the other thread, I'm beginning to think I'm adding too many ferts--I don't think my plants can use all of it since it's only medium planted and this is why the nitrates are high. So 2 issues: algae and bacterial bloom, and high nitrates. Obviously I'm making mistakes that I don't know I'm making. grrr

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  5. budsbunny

budsbunny Bristle Worm

6. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks---yes, I called Petco and they sell something called Betta fix??? From what I've read he should be treated with Maricyn 1 and 2 or ampicillin or tetracycline.

It's not just about treating him though, I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong. There should be absolutely no reason for him to have gotten sick. I do excellent maintenance on both of these tanks just as I did on my reef system. In fact, I had few problems with my saltwater system, it's the freshwater ones that are having issues. IDK, as I said, I'm angry and discouraged.

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Another question budsbunny: this whole issue of bacteria in a bottle requires more explanation. My guy is in a 3g. Tetra cube w/an LED light, a heater, and a tiny little filter pad that sits in a tiny little container. It's run by a very small air pump which makes bubbles.

Ok, so if the tiny little filter pad holds the bacteria and I rinse the filter pad in old tank water (which is what I do), the bacteria shouldn't die. As far as I'm concerned this tank shouldn't even need a filter and should be fine with healthy water changes. IDK, there's something I'm simply not understanding.

Ya know, I just have to say this because I'm mad: I used to be a college teacher before I had brain surgery. I'm not stupid---but for the life of me I cannot figure out what I'm doing incorrectly.

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

The fact that you have had good results with your saltwater aquarium speaks volumes to your husbandry and care. What you do for your freshwater tanks also sounds like its more than good enough, but every tank is different and should be treated as such. I wouldnt say you are doing anything wrong, this hobby throws you lots and lots of unexpected curveballs. The only way to push forward is to gather as much knowledge as you can and have a good support system when problems arise. You have the support system here on 3reef. There is no reason why you cant get past this. By the way bettas typically live in rice patties and puddles in their natural habitat. They are harder to kill than just about anything. If there is any fish that you can cure of a disease it would be this fish. Im not totally sure on this one but Im pretty sure fin rot is a fungal issue which could be present from when you first brought the fish home. Keep your head up. You can and will get past this.

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

In my freshwater tank, I do a 10% waterchange once a month or two. I was doing 10% a week until the bacterial load got going in my cannister filter.

In my freshwater water tank I over feed, hugely, but over filter to make up for it. I have no algae problems or anything.

I might suggest a UV sterilizer for your freshwater tank. Its on my to buy list.

11. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks norg, I needed to hear that and I'm sorry I'm so grouchy. I just feel so bad when a fish isn't doing well; and, I have never neglected my tanks. Hell, after my brain surgery I wasn't allowed to even lift a gallon of milk so I made a family member come over and do the water changes on the saltwater tank and had my son do the daily top offs. In all my years of reefkeeping I never had one fish get sick. I lost my blenny because he jumped (my fault as the tank wasn't covered) but other than that I didn't have problems. I did overstock when I first started but once I realized my error I immediately found them better homes.

I realize that bettas are tough little fish which is one reason I'm perplexed. He is showing no change in behavior whatsoever and there's no fungus or anything that one can see with the naked eye. IDK. I just did a 100% wc because in a few minutes I'm going and get this BettaFix stuff for him. The reviews I've read say it works very well, and quite quickly.

norg, please answer this if you can: how much water should be changed weekly on a freshwater tank? How can doing too large of a water change remove too much bacteria if the biowheel stays wet and the filter pad is only rinsed in old water? Did I simply remove an excess of bacteria living in the sand and on the driftwood?

Please help me understand this. Also, the fish and plants look great and after having done this for many years, I, like many other people, can tell almost immediately when something is off in a system. IDK, just scratching my head...

12. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Hi ryan, thanks for chiming in. :) Lordy I'm getting such a variance in answers. When I checked the nitrates in my tank the other day they were at 40. Seriously, it's got to be the filter pad being too dirty (I rinse it weekly) or too much fertilizer. I do not overfeed, my tank has only got 15 fish (and small ones at that: 3 ottos, 6 espei rasboras, and 6 corys--the tank looks boring because there are so few fish, and such small ones), and there are plants. The trates gotta be coming from somewhere...

UV sterilizer is a good idea but can't do it right now.