Randal's goby pair with pistol shrimp

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by mlong12, Nov 24, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mlong12

mlong12 Astrea Snail

I have had 2 pistol shrimp in my tank for a few weeks, and this past week I added a Dracula goby who paired with my candy stripe pistol shrimp almost immediately. The next day I added a randal's goby, and put him right by the tiger pistol shrimp's rock (complete other side of tank). The randal's goby eventually just made his way to the Dracula/candy pair and started going In their hideout. I think they didn't like him in there, because he usually is out shortly after going in.

What do I need to do to get the Randal's to pair with the tiger pistol shrimp?

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I don't have much experience with pairing gobies but with any symbiotic relationships it's hit and miss. If theres no aggression then hopefully they will each pair up on there own but if it gets to where theres issues maybe you can pull out the goby and shrimp you want paired and put them in quarantine. just a thought.

Lovemyreef2015 and mlong12 like this.
  4. mlong12

mlong12 Astrea Snail

That's not a bad idea. Every time I try to pull the new goby, he goes into the hole that the other goby and shrimp live in. Maybe I'll see what happens over a week or so, I'm just trying to avoid taking all my rock out to get at him

DSC reef likes this.
  5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Sorry to say but two pistol shrimp and two different gobies could lead to some trouble.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. mlong12

mlong12 Astrea Snail

Darn. Thanks for the info. I had read online that if they were far enough apart, it could work out (they are on opposite ends of the tank). So far I have not seen any signs of trouble, but will keep a close eye.

DSC reef likes this.